View Single Post
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:27 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
4-6 Gladiatrons with 3 archers? You counting the Swog's attack as well?
No, I'm saying if the Swog buys you a turn where they have to focus on the unit behind their ranks, you'll get a second round of attacks with your archers before they have to deal with the Glads. In each turn you have a pretty good chance of taking out 2-3 Gladiatrons a couple more Swogs. Hence the 4-6 total.

Quote:
Again I'm wondering what size armies are these? Other Blasts can get to fire at a Swog with Homing Device kicking in.
If the bonuses are enough, one Blast could put down the Swog and free up the other three to fire towards the front line.
But you're forgetting that the Soulborgs always cost more, and you'll have more archers to spare no matter how large the game gets. A single squad of Glads buys you two sets of Archers, and Blastatrons cost 2:3. Swog Riders are a little pricier per figure than the Archers, but you can still afford to draft more than one per Archer squad for every Gladiatron squad you face (only 10 points more). You're going to lose Swogs, and you're going to lose Archers, but its pretty easy to ensure your opponent loses more.

Quote:
I think Flexibility if very evident when the Soulborg numbers are signficant. Granted, the bonding is without attack, but the options are there. For instance, if I've enough Swogless Blastatrons, I'm going to want to fire at the enhancing Swogs rather than the Swog deep in my line.
I think the misunderstanding here is the idea the Swog is doing the majority of the damage. What you're really trying to do here is divide up the combo and make sure the Orcs are protected so they can open up as many holes in the Glad ranks as possible. The Archers are going to do your damage. With 2 Swogs, they're very likely to take out at least 2 Gladiatrons per turn, and with their range, they can usually get a couple turns of attacks before the Claw even becomes a concern. As long as you take care of the most immediate threats first, you can tear holes in the line that stall the Gladiatron advance even farther.

And by Flexibility, I'm definitely referring to your numbers comment. The Soulborg horde is slow because it really relies on multiple copies of the entire horde sticking together to do the most damage. Otherwise, each casualty greatly weakens you down as you need more reinforcements to get your Homing boost, and the deeper down field you get, the longer that will take. On the other hand, the Archers can operate as individual cells, and attack the horde one group at a time. 3 Archers and 2 Swogs can easily move together without losing ground (the Swogs alternate their superior movement to keep pace). These individual cells punch as far into the horde as they can and eventually lose, but then you start the process over again with a new cell.