View Single Post
Old March 8th, 2007, 01:24 PM

toddrew has disabled reputation
My only experience with Runa is the following (take note, a fairly word heavy post to follow, but I'm at work avoiding responsibility ) :

Four player 400 point free for all on a midsized map (about 20 x 30 hexes). The map is a river valley of sorts, sloping up to both of the 20 hex edges with water tiles down the middle that fork around a flat island at one of the 30 hex edges (let's call it the south edge). On the opposite edge a two hex wide bridge traverses the river connecting the east and west sections of the board. At the west end of the bridge, stairs and a ladder lead to a single hex outpost tower that has height on the rest of the board.

The four armies roughly (if not exactly) were: p1: 2X Einar Imperium, Empress Kiova, Guilty McCreech, stationed in the SW corner of the board; p2: Nakita Agents, 2x Blastitrons, Gladiatrons, 2x death reavers, stationed in the NW corner of the board and some under the bridge; p3: Runa, 3x Zombies, death reavers, stationed in the NE corner of the board and some under the bridge across the river from p2; and p4 (me): Kee-Mo-Shi, Me-Burq-Sa; 2x Shades, MBS on the island with a couple Shades, some Shades in the east fork, and KMS on the east shore.

First round initiative goes p2, p1, p3, p4. p2 positions for the oncoming EI onslaught. p1 positions to spring said onslaught. p3 decides that now is the time to bring in Runa to thin out p4. In order to do so, a few Zombies of the home team will also be under the influence of the curse, but that is calculated collateral damage, as one can't raise zombies until there are destroyed zombies Sure enough, one of the four affected zombies goes down. None of my eight are cursed. My turn comes up, and Kee-Mo-Shi is the card of choice. She is able to scramble up adjacent to Runa. And you know what happens next. Mind-shackle. Not a 19, however, but an oh so ironic 20 to take control of Runa.

Rest of the round consists of EI taking out the Nakitas, suffering nary an engagement strike hit, and then chewing through the glad blasters as Kiova's gift keeps giving uncannily. Not one EI goes down. On the eastern front the Zombies try to take out Runa and Kee-Mo-Shi while being countered by the Shades. Three approaching Zombies go down hard, not to rise again, as others advance across the bridge. Runa takes a wound, Kee-Mo-Shi none.

Round 2 finds all of p4's order markers on Runa. As the Zombies flee (in their shambling, not too hurriedly fashion ) and the EI wipe out the rest of the Vydar soulborgs, leaving p2 with rats only, Runa makes her way to the west to wreak havoc. Maybe. This is a d20 we're talking about, lol.

First turn positions Runa and no curse is uttered, Second turn has Runa eyeing the as of yet unihabited tower, and cursing a bunch of rats and a stragling couple of blastatrons on the west bank, more rats and a few zombies on the east. Out of about 10 rolls, no 20's. Before Runa can reach the outpost tower though, p1 takes a break from the EI bloodletting (er, 'borg letting, rather at that point) and deftly positions Kiova a top the tower.

Denied, Runa takes her post on the ladder just below Kiova and facing the bridge (which turns out to be a mistake - should've positioned on the ladder on the other side, which would've exposed Runa to only one adjacent EI, not the three that this spot allows, doh! But, able to target about 11 or 12 figures, versus the 4 or 5 that the other vantage would've given). The helm unleashes it's tension filled fraught first, and among many tantalizingly close rolls, a 20 appears and takes out one of the EI. Her mighty blade then unleashes but a tiny skull on the perched Kiova. Even with her 5d defense, though, she musters nary a shield and takes a wound.

p2 retaliates. Runa is beset upon by 3 EI, but with height advantage. She defends valiantly, taking only one wound through 5 attacks of 3d each. Amazingly coordinated rolls of just enough shields to block each swing of the sword, save one when 2 shields repelled all but one of the skulls rolled. Then the final swing dishes out 3 skulls. Then, just when p2's will is about to be atomized, Runa's defense finally fails, whiffing to bring her down.

So, my feelings on Runa: she's great, especially when you don't have to pay for her

Caravaggio's feelings on Runa: she blows ass

And you can see her
Before it cracks and goes out
She throws rocks at streetlights
Keeps the streetlight changer busy

Floundering Customs Thread