View Single Post
Old February 9th, 2019, 10:47 AM

Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Lazy Orang & Family's Classic Customs - Imperfect Innova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Yeshua View Post
Huh, I've stumbled across pics of repeating crossbows before, but I always kinda wrote them off as being a too fantastical... like Flails/Morning Stars lol

Excellent design, I love how the drawbacks from Repeating Crossbow naturally keep the squad in check if they have height, MDG, etc. I would've never thought that a common squad that can easily chuck 10-12 attacks in a turn would be balanced, but you pulled it off! Do they slow the game down too much? It seems like an awful lot of rolling in one turn, especially with the d20 roll thrown in.

Also, I love that the figs even look like classic 'Scape figs, so good job paining them! Keep up the good work!

P.S. Might steal this design for a PvE Scenario some time...
Wow! Thanks for the kind words, chap! (Though I'm not sure what a PvE scenario is and now I'm curious...) I was fairly happy with how Repeating Crossbow kept a natural check on attack boosts.
I don't find that they slow games down, generally - you're making a lot of rolls, sure, but they're super quick to read, a large amount of the time they simply miss so a defence roll isn't even necessary, and when defence is rolled, you're usually just checking to see if there was at least one shield, rather than enough to block the full attack, since more than one skull is unlikely - those little seconds of checking the dice being reduced to micro-seconds allow you to keep rolling in very quick succession, so while lots of attacks are being made, they fly by, which is quite fitting really. When you then add that the number of attacks in total will usually be reduced by jamming (I generally find the average is around 8-10 attacks in a turn), and the fact that you'll actually be rolling for poison fairly rarely (the number of attacks that inflict a wound is far lower than the number of attacks total, and poison only works against certain targets), and they really don't slow the game down... unless you're using the online app, which I unfortunately use for testing. The dice rolling for that tends to lag enough that they can be a little frustrating to play on that, but on a physical battlefield, there's no issue unless you keep dropping your dice off the table and stooping to pick them up!
PvE is Player vs Environment, so think dungeon crawls or campaigns like the C3G's World's Finest. They're something I love designing and running, but I seldom get to indulge in...

And I see your points about the rolling, especially since you aren't gonna be picking new targets for each and every attack lol I like these kinds of high variance units, I'll have to find a place to use them some time