Thread: Hex Mats
View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2023, 01:47 AM

BeardBeyond wears ripped pants of awesomeness BeardBeyond wears ripped pants of awesomeness BeardBeyond wears ripped pants of awesomeness BeardBeyond wears ripped pants of awesomeness BeardBeyond wears ripped pants of awesomeness BeardBeyond wears ripped pants of awesomeness BeardBeyond wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Hex Mats

A seller has agreed to work with me and will be sending me the hex grids they use. These are the scans I've got thus far and they will be plenty high quality enough for my purposes. A couple of design decisions going into this I have to decide on are:

-I have 3 tones of snow (some combination of age, material, sets they were released in) so do I go with the bleach white, the off white, or the yellow snow, I'm partial to the bleach white (as it simply looks better) but does the average heroscaper have more of those or the other two? (I know I certainly have less of the bleach white than the other tones). Road has color differentiation too, but there's so much of it that it sort of creates a nifty look. Sand (not scanned yet) is the next most noticeable, but that's an easy pick since the whiter sand doesn't pop as much as the browner sand.

-Do I photoshop out all the points at which the tiles connect or leave them in? This isn't really a big deal either way but will involve quite a bit of effort. I do think it will create a cleaner look, but I may have to do it on a case by case basis as there are plenty of terrain types that mostly have only 1-2 hex variants. (As an example the road spaces look fine using only singles, but the grass spaces look more earthquake-y using anything less than 7-24 hex.)

-Do I go for single sided or double sided? This is a big one because your average Heroscaper won't have this same issue, but I like making living room spanning maps, so if I have say 6 3'x5' maps I can make a much bigger 1 level than I can with 3 double sided (which would also lead to me having to pick and choose which terrain types to use more often).

For the moment I've only got the 3 test scans because I didn't wanna bring a whole bunch of terrain to work and then the scans not look right, but now that I've confirmed that they will look good, I'll be scanning EVERY other terrain type soon to begin desing work on playmats.

Last edited by BeardBeyond; September 3rd, 2023 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Broken Image URLs