View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2021, 12:22 AM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: AOTV Playtesting Thread (Volunteers needed!)

I recently played a game with the Honored Soul Guides, and I thought I could help this project by sharing my results. I will say, the phrase "There can be only one Human Champion" on the MacDirk Warriors' Army Card has never before seemed so apt.

PLAYTEST REPORT
475 points

Map: THE BOROGROVES by Typhon2222
Glyphs: Valda (West), Wannok (East)

Army A (southern start zone): Sir Gilbert, MacDirk Warriors x4, Honored Soul Guides
Army B (northern start zone): Kato Katsuro, Ashigaru Harquebus x3, Ashigaru Yari x2, Isamu

Survivors:
Kato (2 life)
2 Harquebusmen
Isamu

Summary:
Spoiler Alert!

Power Usage:
LAST WILL: used round 4 on Sir Gilbert; approximately 130 points worth of damage inflicted
STEALTH FLYING: used three times to scale uneven terrain
Normal Attack: used once each; two wounds inflicted

Comments:
The MacDirk Warriors were my first thought when I saw this unit, and the Soul Guides worked about as well as expected here. Last Will effectively gave the MacDirks a precious second chance at victory after losing Gilbert, but I made some mistakes that prevented me from capitalizing on it. I would be willing to pay more than 50 points for the Honored Soul Guides in this specific composition, but I think that Raelin would be a better investment for most armies as the Soul Guides' points increase.

I would consider this one of the HSGs' stronger uses: the MacDirks love having their champion alive with a single life, hate losing said champion early in a game, and don't mind leaving the champion in a different area of the map with the Soul Guides; moreover, Sir Gilbert can move the Soul Guides without spending an Order Marker. Interestingly, the MacDirk army was transformed into something reminiscent of a Wildwoods army, although the Soul Guides are easier to stamp out than are the Wildwood Runners, and it is significantly more dangerous to leave the MacDirks' Champion alive with low life than it is to treat the Wildwood Monarch that way.

Finally, I agree with the thought that the HSGs are much better with bonding. Maybe you could give them the ability to freely move Order Markers onto a figure they revive on a turn-by-turn basis, similar to Rygarn's Chrono Key. That way, a player doesn't lose as much if a non-bonding Last Will recipient dies early.