View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2021, 10:27 AM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Time for some new Approved Terrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Perkins View Post
I don't intend on offering a yes/no opinion on the general topic at this point (because I think it will detract from the issues I'm mentioning below), but I do want to point out a few important ways that adding terrain is different from adding figures via C3V/SoV.

1) It's harder for a mixed classic/C3V tournament to use. A large event with lots of pre-set maps can switch between classic & C3V events easily because the maps stay the same. Essentially an event with multiple tournaments happening sequentially would have to be exclusively custom terrain inclusive or exclusive, which is a harsher standard than VC figures requires.

2) New terrain affects past figures more than new figures do. A new figure only affects a sub-set of figures who have synergy with it whereas new terrain would likely affect > 50% of figures (i.e. if affecting small/medium/large). This makes balancing harder and new introductions affect power rankings more broadly.

3) Terrain releases would happen less frequently than figure releases.

4) There's less room to expand in new terrain than new figures. Ultimately Heroscape doesn't have a ton of different game mechanics, and a lot of them are already covered by existing terrain. This makes 'releasing in perpetuity' like C3V does much harder (and risky, from a power creep perspective).

Those are my initial thoughts on key differences.
Chris, all very valid points. That is why I was thinking smaller pieces instead of a whole terrain set. These could be rare, and placed like glyphs as well. The example I use is an Obelisk. A hero standing by an Obelisk could roll a d20 to access it's power: (this is a very rough idea). 1 - take a wound, 2-8 nothing happens, 9-14 heal a wound, 15-19, gain +1 attack this turn, 20 resurrect a figure. Now, I thought of this in 5 minutes without lots of thought. But two of these on a board would act like gylphs (with a little LOS block).

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!