View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2006, 01:06 AM

srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby!
After using VirtualScape to build a fairly sizeable map, I've only found four annoyances, and no outright bugs:

1) When you place a tile, you have to click on it again to select it in order to rotate it. Is it possible to automatically change the selection to the tile you just placed?

2) There is no clear indicator of which tile/scenery object is 'active'; several times I thought I'd selected the tile I wanted after changing tabs in the materials list, but wound up dropping the previous tile, because the click on the new tile didn't 'take'.

3) Getting the view you want in the 3-D window is fairly clumsy; having the rotations occur around a zero coordinate that is well outside the map makes the change in view when you rotate the 3-D view less than intuitive. Is the coordinate system for rotation fixed at its current point, or could it be moved to the middle of the 'table' before rendering the map, so that all the rotations leave the map in the same general position in the window? Or am I missing a set of commands for moving the 3-D image?

4) There doesn't seem to be a way to save the 3-d image to a file; it's easy enough to capture it with a graphics editor, but the uncompressed Windows BMP format should be easy to dump to. Although I suspect that this is probably already on the 'to do' list.

On the whole, though, I'm quite impressed with the program; it's easy to use and has a straightforward user interface (aside from an interesting learning curve when dealing with onion-skin mode and building both up and down in a map). Well done. I need to do the rest of the map configuration (what I think will be an interesting special rule) and a scenario to go with it, then I can post the map.