View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2021, 03:30 PM
See the Book of Sporx for updates.

Sporx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sporx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sporx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sporx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sporx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sporx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sporx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sporx wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Welcome to C3G! – Directory

I generally agree with SIEGE, too. I like the idea of “revising” some of the old designs where it makes thematic and mechanical sense. If we could go back in time and use our current knowledge, I think a lot of these “class changes” would have been made without hesitation, to create thematic and mechanical synergy. The designers at the time simply weren’t aware of what this project would become.

No one has perfect knowledge of how things will develop. Even Richard Garfield designed MTG with ante... It is not inherently bad, or reductive, to make tweaks along the way.

MTG has done “cleanup” of its product line/terminology throughout its history. In some ways, such changes may have helped keep that game fresh, relevant, and successful, without majorly overhauling the core game.

The “Oracle text” concept may be a good parallel to what is being talked about here. Is there a way to have an “original” and an “Oracle text” version of C3G? For example, the most famous MTG card:

Black Lotus (printed/1993): 0 CMC, MONO Artifact, “Adds 3 mana of any single color of your choice to your mana pool, then is discarded. Tapping this artifact can be played as an interrupt.”

Black Lotus (Oracle/current): 0 CMC, Artifact, “Tap, Sacrifice Black Lotus: Add three mana of any one color.”

Both say the same thing, but the modern conventions are much cleaner, easier to understand, and less cumbersome for new players to learn. Standardized language, etc., also helps the creators with a framework to express their designs, or deviations from standards.

I think the Leap/Swing changes recently have been very productive and helpful in making C3G a “better” product. These types of refinements are almost necessary, as a game becomes more and more “understood” through time and repeated play.

But, I never get to play... so most of my input is theory/fantasy drafting. The thing that I am most interested in is theme... comic accuracy, “team-ups” that make story sense, not necessarily min/maxing. I am a “Johnny” player, not a “Spike,” or “Timmy.” (https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ike-2013-12-03) Is this a helpful tool for discussing the issues/players/future?

Edit: ninja’ed by tcglkn. Great minds think alike. But, so do small ones...

Last edited by Sporx; January 22nd, 2021 at 04:07 PM.