View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:41 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornPuff
Well, FW uses exactly one MS. Hasbro gave us 18 hex start zones. My proposed start zones are 21 hexes large, we will need to increase them somehow. We would have to increase it to 24 hexes without upsetting the glyph balance. Maybe we could add some expansion tiles to the back of each side?

Also, I vote for the Kelda, Valda, Astrid and Gerda glyphs to be present as they are in winter holdout. I vote for the removal of the glyph of dagmar, as I always hated that glyph placement because is causes movement over glyph confusion.

This is a good start. Add three more hexes to the start zones in an intelligent way and we can call this one done.

We actually played this with 500 point armies when I ran the flagbears out the other night. we left the existing start zones and filled in the back side of the starting zones with 3 two-hex pieces on each side to bring the total up. That way you don't have to worry about upsetting the glyph or terrain distances. And the only reason most people would use starting spaces farther back is if they had to.

I've never had a problem with the Dagmar glyph on this map. Its a powerful glyph in my opinion, but it is right out there in the middle of the action most of the time. So there is ample opportunity to take it. I give it up quite often. I'm not concerned with my opponent having it until turn 2 hits and I'm not concerned with holding it myself until turn 3 of a round.

Sum up: I don't see a problem with all the glyphs in Winter Holdout. As for start spaces, why not add them to the back side of the start zones. My suggestion from the bottom up on the left side and fill in the middle on the right (to keep it behind existing start zones.)

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.