View Single Post
Old September 12th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Re: The Meta-meta-game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
The system we have is deep, yet easy to play; with tactics and strategies that will tax the best players, yet with an element of fun that I've found in no other game currently alive, affordable (not a small issue) and predictable (not blind-purchase), yet still of high quality production.

In the meta-meta-meta game of game production; my vote continues to be strongly for HeroScape.
A lot of good stuff in that post, but this last point here is what really continues to excite me about Heroscape, even coming up on 5 years after my first game.

This is a remarkable system that incorporates so much. If we get a bit tired of 1v1, 500 pt., kill-em-all games, then we switch to some scenarios, or 2v2, or Epic, or adventure-based*, etc. The system is flexible and adaptable. Even in the organized play we do, we switch from tourneys to group play, from melee only games to longer 1v1 non-tourney play. Just changing the nature of the maps and start zones shakes things up so much.

Anyhow, I guess I'm just getting at the fact that one of the excellent things about Heroscape is the fact that it itself encompasses so many possible metagames and games.

We play dozens of great games at my house (rotating through everything from Harry Potter CLUE to RISK 2210, Catan to Pillars, Last Night to Carcassonne, and more), but I never grow tired of what Heroscape offers. Five years later and I'm still excited for every chance I get to play.

Thanks for this thread, Rev.

[*One of my favorite variants is a rescue map. Each of us begins with one hero, about 80-120 pts. We race to some of the many Brandars on the map and claim them to "rescue" an army. Sometimes we have set units near the Brandars (you get what you see there), sometimes we have a die roll for reinforcements. Definitely mixing things up. You need a large enough map that you don't bump into each other right away.]