View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Orc's State of the Meta Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I agree with Dysole that the biggest source of the decline of Q9 is just the metagame created by formats where you might have to play against your Q9. It's really nothing except that - well that, and some social stigma about playing Q9. But if I had to play against an an alien for the survival of the human race, and it's double blind prebuilt armies, I'm bringing Q9, full stop.

Look at last year's Gencon results. Several formats contain draft elements or reverses or have specific army-building restrictions that make using Q9 really hard. Leave those out, and you've got 4x400, 4x300, assassination, uniques, and team-up. Q9 was in the winning army of two of those, and second place in two spots as well... in just 5 events. No other figure was as prevalent in the top 2 spots in those events, and this is despite relatively few players using Q9.
Agreed on Q9 still being powerful. My point was that he isn't played across the board nearly as often anymore.. he just floats to the top when he is played.

It is definitely a stigma thing as well; I should elaborate a bit on the "unspoken agreement" part. That's why you don't write an article over a series of months without at least jotting down the points you want to hit...

Will update to include, thanks!

Quote:
On "splashing" -- there are two common themes in every army I've ever played in the main event. One is Raelin, of course. The other is that I make armies where to be successful you have to juggle OMs between different offensive pieces. IMO, if you're trying to make an army tricky to play, requiring this sort of OM management, even between just two places, is more important than the raw number of OM options available.
Agreed here too. I simply provided a few extreme cases that also follow the rule you gave. Again, will definitely cover RtW specifically sometime hopefully soon.

Thanks for the feedback!