View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2021, 11:01 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: [Pod 0] Glyph of Movement - Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
See here for the beginning of discussion surrounding these new glyphs.

This one is in a bit of a weird spot. We can't really do Valda's "+2 move to all other figures" if we want each of our glyphs to be unique from the official Power Glyphs.

I do have an idea, but it necessitate actually distinguishing these glyphs from the red Power Glyphs and tan Treasure Glyphs (which some people have noted an inclination towards in the past, but we decided against for the sake of keeping AotV true to classic HeroScape).

In keeping true with each color of glyph being considered distinct, we could treat these as normal Power Glyphs with a minor variation: figures don't have to stop when entering their space. This should be pretty intuitive to newer players (my girlfriend forgets that you have to stop on Power Glyphs every so often, and she's played several games with me at this point) and have a minimal impact on how they play when compared to normal glyphs.

What that does do, though, is open this glyph up to a completely unique interpretation:
Quote:
Glyph of Movement
When a figure enters this space for the first time each turn, it may move 2 additional spaces while moving normally.
The idea being that we can use this glyph as a relatively minor source of defining paths for our maps. By trying to centralize movement through this glyph for a slight boost, we'll have quite a few more options in designing maps and scenarios, and it could actually be interesting for players outside of our box as well.

Any thoughts on this direction? It would probably involve discussing the changes to the other glyphs we have in the process, as well, just to ensure that everything is fine. I don't anticipate it being an issue for Recall or Healing (just stop on the glyph to activate it, I think), and Knowledge isn't problematic already.
I really don't think creating a new type of glyph is a great idea, for a couple reasons. First, I could see it as confusing to new players. It's already a little tricky to remember how glyphs interact with movement, especially how normal glyphs stop movement and treasure glyphs do not, and adding a third type of glyph that are just like normal ones except they don't stop movement just makes that issue worse.

The second reason is even more important in my opinion, and that is what the creation of a new glyph type would do for the rulebook. I think AotV presents the perfect opportunity to create the most polished and authoritative heroscape rulebook ever seen. The rules surrounding any new glyph types would have to be listed in the rulebook, which I fear could make the rulebook as a whole viewed more as a "custom mod" rather than the authoritative standard for VC going forward. Adding new characters and scenarios is one thing, but creating an entirely new type of glyph changes the fundamental rules of the game in a way that I feel could limit the potential impact of this project.