View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2018, 04:07 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Yeah, I'll be honest, I'm not certain I'm a fan of Valhallan trolls regenerating when that's the key hook of D&D trolls and we know Feylundian trolls don't.
We do? You mean Krug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
I'd personally suggest going in a different direction here and really doubling down on the lurking monster angle you find in folklore (i.e. the sort you'd find under bridges), or making them more akin to trolls in Norse mythology (particularly since they would inhabit a place bloody well called Valhalla). Since trolls are already different from world to world in Heroscape lore, and there's quite a bit of variation in how creatures called trolls are portrayed anyway (mythological/folklore trolls, D&D trolls and Tolkien trolls (the ones that I personally think of when I think 'troll' - I pretty much grew up with the Lord of the Rings films...) are effectively three completely different things), I think keeping trolls from each world they inhabit distinct would be more interesting and feel less out of place than Valhallan trolls being 'D&D trolls, but not'. That way, you'd have a nice bit of distinction, variation, and allow the game to take from and expand different thematic areas - Valhallan trolls can have their own (possibly mythological/folkloresque) feel, D&D trolls can be what everyone expects from D&D trolls, and Feylundian ones like Krug can hold the mantle for the Tolkienesque 'Hulk Smash' brand of troll.
Thanks for your input Lazy Orang, I think you have a good point here. If this troll is really supposed to be from Valhalla, I would like to see it have some more distinct characteristics in some way.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV