View Single Post
Old June 29th, 2017, 04:42 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Transcendental Argument for the Existence of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
From the perspective of the individual, they are indeed all powerful. There is literally nothing which they would choose to do which they cannot do. If you had the ability to do literally anything you chose to do, would you not be all powerful? Whether or not you would choose to do things wouldn't change whether or not you had the power to do so, right?

~Aldin, unsure as to what power beyond the power to do anything you want without restriction could possibly be
Well let me try and illustrate that for you. Let's put myself in the shoes of this theoretical being and give me your definition of omnipotence.

Suppose I have the power to make the love of my life fall hopelessly in love me, and this woman is the only woman to ever exist that I have wanted. She is all I want, and I have the power to make her mine unreservedly. Am I omnipotent? I am sure you would agree that to assert I was would be ridiculous. I may be all powerful in the respect to a given circumstance (e.g. making the woman love me) but for every other woman, man, dog, cat etc. I lack omnipotence. I lack omnipotence in every respect save for my want. Am I omnipotent?

The example meets your criteria because the woman is all I desire, but it still doesn't make me omnipotent because I do not maintain the power to do anything and everything.

~JS