View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2021, 01:03 PM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Book of Acolarh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomCarrot View Post
I love elves.

No really, I do. I think I brought some elves to Islandscape 2019 even, and I use elf pods every chance I get in friendly games. I like to think I've pretty well mastered how to use elf pods by now, and I have even found ways to make morsbane a fairly solid pick throughout the game, depending on my opponent's drafts.

But Acolarh? I mean... He just looks so damn cool. And he is such a collectible piece these days that I do badly want him. But I cannot, for the life of, think of any situation in any game that would inspire me to draft him over other elves.

He is a support unit, sure. Useless on offense, pretty useless in a defensive screen, but can sit out of the trouble with ulginesh and keep some folks alive a little longer maybe.

But really? 110 points? In the normal 500-600 point game, I have a hard enough time picking between Johrdawn or Chardris sometimes. In what scenario would this wizard be more useful than 2x WOA wall, or Morsbane for deterring certain figures, or heck even syvarris despite his lack of much synergy.

If I dump my typical WoA screen for this guy, then I have few chances to even roll for his aura--worthless.

If I dump Emiroon for him, then the entire elf stratagem falls apart.

Dumping Arkmer, Ulginish, or my main hitters is obviously out of the question.

I just feel like he has literally no practical use outside of massive 3000 point games where you might as well just draft all the Ullar cards you have lol.

Has anybody actually used this figure over the years, with any amount of luck? He just seems like a badly overpriced figure to my draft and my wallet, just to never be played.

If I ever got him, I think I'd houserule him as a 70 point figure, along with my houserulings of common-squad zettians and common-hero deathwalkers lol
Have you ever used him with 3x Elf archers on height? He gives them a fair chance of avoiding death, I think he's great. A little over priced, sure, he feels like an 85-90 point figure. 70 is too low IMO.

I've used him successfully a few times, although I haven't played him in forever. Him and Hatamoto are my 2 fave flag bearers.

At that point, I think I'd just want another squad of Aubriens! No seriously, how many will he realistically save in a game, maybe 3? Another squad of Aubriens will accomplish the same thing for much cheaper. Only reason I see to really do this is if you are struggling with starting hex restrictions.

Even raelin would perform this role better for cheaper despite having no real synergy. Then again, raelin is a bit of an unfair comparison, and theme > competitiveness in my opinion, so there's also that lol!