View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2018, 01:51 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth
Re: Arch-vile's customs (updated Oct. 2018)

Thanks for the comments guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I think that the reason HeroScape has so few healing figures is because of the nature of using dice to attack. When dealing wounds can feel impossible at times (either due to poor rolls or characters like Q9), erasing a player's progress can feel really bad. I think that may be one of the primary reason why we only saw one fully dedicated healing figure, with the rest having other functions as well like Sonlen, Rhogar, or Ana.

That said, I actually really like the theme of these guys. Their cheapness is a major concern (especially if they get to roll for every wounded hero you control, instead of just ones that are adjacent to at least one Franciscan Friar that you control), though, since healing is so valuable in HeroScape. I would personally suggest changing Pray for Healing 17 to only affect wounded heroes that you control adjacent to at least one Franciscan Friar that you control to avoid this problem and encourage these guys to see more play.

The only other qualm that I have with this design is that Divine Retribution can trigger on Leaving Engagement Attacks. I don't really like the idea of these guys shuffling back and forth a couple of feet, prompting Major Q9 to whack at them to hopefully smite him. I think that the theme would be stronger if they could not directly prompt the automatic wound. Other than those two things, I really like this design!
Rhogar, I knew I forgot someone! Those are both smart suggestions for changes. I thought since disengagement attacks were optional, it wouldn't be an issue, but you're right that encouraging them is weird in itself.

I agree that healing wounds can be very discouraging as the opponent. The Feral Troll can be brutal against some figures. None of them now are very good as healers, except for Kelda. But even she is pretty bad outside of a casual environment. For the Friars, I thought a 17+ (up to a max of 11+) was rare enough to not be too overwhelming for opponents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
It feels really weird to have a normal move on a character that is visibly sitting down. HeroScape doesn't really have a precedence for this, but I would imagine that this mini shouldn't have a move higher than 3 since it conveys immobility so much (even if logically the character could pick up the stool, it still feels odd on the miniature and Count Raymond can already boost the movement with his Devout Leadership).

I'm not a huge fan of the current implementation of Teacher of the Healing Arts, in all honesty. Maybe it's because I was just wrecked by Charos in the winning D/FW NHSD army, but I can't see it having much use outside of extremely high-life figures like him. Since the Monks double as a weaker screen for your heroes with Divine Retribution and being a cheap 4-figure squad, I'd expect players to be taking turns with them at least somewhat consistently to keep their heroes topped off and enemies engaged.

Monk Supremacy isn't exciting, either, but it does have some synergies with the other C3V monks. I do prefer the current Teacher of the Healing Arts over it just because we've seen Supremacy quite a bit by now and the extra synergy for Ana and Rhogar is neat, though.

As a more general suggestion, since the ratio of this figure to his squad is 1:1 in the pack that they come in (and the squad is fairly cheap, so they will likely be purchased in bulk), I would prefer to see either a Common or Uncommon Hero instead of a Unique one, but that's solely because I wouldn't want to end up with 3 extra copies of Saint Medicus.
I think that a mini with a stool would never be used in official Heroscape. It's weird for the reasons you mentioned. I figured just ignoring the stool for gameplay reasons made the most sense. If these figures were ever used for a C3V/SoV design I agree that a common or uncommon would be necessary.

As far as gameplay is concerned, I figured the Monk heroes would get a good amount of use out of the healing since they could take simultaneous turns with Master Lao Xin's ability. Ranged heroes or higher life/higher defense heroes would definitely get more out of it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Great concepts on these Arch. The only thing I'd be worried about is how cheap the monks are for what they get to do for all your heroes, combined with how they get a chance to wound figures for killing them. I'd keep them at 40pts if you made them Unique. That way the healing doesn't go on all game if the one player drafted 200 pts worth of them. They look like they'd do plenty fine at unique status as they are though.
I was originally thinking 50 points for a common squad, but I figured since they'll never attack anything and the healing/retribution odds were low, they'd be okay at 40. They can offer a lot for 40 though, so maybe it is slightly too much.