View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Davidlhsl:

Its great to hear from a wargamer, which is something I used to be more heavily. Best of luck with your new toys, and thanks for the game descriptions.
You and me both! But you've seen my collection of old Avalon Hill games.
I got rid of my games back during the Purge of 199x when I realized I would never get any play out of them. What I never considered back then was that playing solo can be quite fun.

The one game I played the most because other folks found it fun was Gladiator. I also enjoyed Air Force, Flight Leader, and the first two scenarios of Squad Leader (never made it to the armor rules). And Tactics II was the game that served as the gateway for me, and that was fun to play as well.

And I loved the solitaire B-17. To show you how pathetic I can be, I'd staff the bomber with girls I had a crush on over the years. Then I'd watch them die in numerous ways, which is pretty indicative of my love life. Ok, TMI...

@chas: I do consider Memoir 44 an introductory wargame. One of these days, I should write an apologia and post it to the Geek explaining why I think some of the criticisms (esp. the "I have no cards!" complaint) fail to consider aspects where the design actually makes more sense than folks realize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Yay, wargames! I still have my Ambush! collection in the garage.
They do say that a bird in the hand is worth two copies of Ambush! <insert groan here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbnbsmith View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
Israeli Independence

I've looked at this series as well. I may try this one once my self-imposed game embargo is over.
I really need to do this myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
How dare you. These types of war game are my Achilles' Heel because they are so dang hard to find, solitare or not; most of them are too complex for my tastes. Now that I have seen this, I want it really bad, but I have no money!

EDIT: $15+5 with the expansion? Hmm.... I will be picking that up sometime, so I'll bookmark the site. But I've got to pay off this new laptop first...

So..., anyone interested in a Chromebook? It's for sale! PM me for details.

EDIT 2: O_O There's a Trench Warfare 2-player on the site,
Did you see those counters for Trenches of Valor? They have the ranged die results printed on the counters! Awwww, that's so cuuuuute! I haven't played it.

And I gave D-Day another go and tried to incorporate more close combat. That worked much better for the Canadians, but they still lost 3-9.

Last edited by davidlhsl; March 19th, 2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Re-reading the Memoir 44, I seem to say the opposite of what I intended. Rewrite!