View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2020, 10:20 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!
Re: The Book of Cap. America (Isaiah Bradley) (Breathing Per

Awesome! Excited to see you under way.

Quick edit I wrote on what you have, preserving the mechanics and just trying to polish the wording a bit:

Quote:
LIVING LEGEND
Once per game, if Captain America would be destroyed, you may roll the 20-sided die.
• If you roll 3 or lower, destroy Captain America.
• If you roll 4 or higher, Captain America is not destroyed. Place or remove Wound Markers from this card so that Captain America has 1 Life remaining, and
• If you roll 11 or higher, you may also move up to 4 figures you control 4 spaces each and
• If you roll 18 or higher, you may also roll two unblockable attack dice against a figure engaged with Captain America.
Figures moved by this special power do not take leaving engagement attacks.

INTO THE BREACH
After revealing an Order Marker on this card and ending Captain America’s movement engaged, you may choose up to 4 Common Soldiers you control, up to 2 Unique Heroes you control that are Soldiers or Scouts, or any one Unique Hero you control. Chosen figures must be within 8 clear sight spaces of Captain America. Move the chosen figures up to 4 spaces each, or up to 6 spaces if they end their movement engaged or adjacent to Captain America. If a Unique Hero moved by this special power ends its movement adjacent to an enemy figure, roll an unblockable attack die against that enemy figure.
(Format for the first power based on Midnighter)

I really dig the design but I do think there are just a couple too many bells and whistles right now.

If I could make a few suggestions to simplify, I'd probably go with something like:

Quote:
LIVING LEGEND
Once per game, if Captain America would be destroyed by receiving wounds, you may ignore those wounds and roll the 20-sided die.
• If you roll 11 or higher, you may move up to 4 figures you control up to 4 spaces each and
• If you roll 18 or higher, you may also roll two unblockable attack dice against a figure engaged with Captain America.
Figures moved by this special power do not take leaving engagement attacks.

INTO THE BREACH
After revealing an Order Marker on this card and ending Captain America’s movement engaged, you may choose up to four figures you control that are Soldiers or Scouts within 8 clear sight spaces of Captain America. Move the chosen figures up to 4 spaces each. If a Unique Hero moved by this special power ends its movement adjacent to an enemy figure, roll an unblockable attack die against that enemy figure.
Here's what I changed:
-He just ignores whatever wounds he would have taken in Living Legend instead of going to 1 Life left - it's a less complex effect and we have other figures that can do it. (Daredevil II as a f'rinstance). Simplifies the power a bit.
-He always tanks the hit in Living Legend - IMO that's minor enough as a once-per-game thing that giving him a failure rate isn't totally necessary, and I think making sure he at least gets that part will make him feel like a safer draft.
-Removed the Common/Unique distinction and the "any one Unique Hero" option and just let him pick up to four Soldiers/Scouts in Into the Breach. IMO there isn't a huge pressure for him to have a generalist option.
-Removed the possibility to increase the free move from ItB by getting engaged or adjacent to Captain America.

-------------

Now, and I cannot stress this enough, I'm just one weirdo with my own opinions. We've got a robust collection of differently opinionated weirdos here, so probably someone else will wander in and disagree with some or all of what I'm suggesting.

What I'm getting at is that you shouldn't take my wording edit or my mechanical suggestions as gospel. Use what you like, throw away what you don't, talk through your thought process on stuff you're unsure about. Your opinion on what's essential here is important. Most important of anyone's, as the LD!

-------------

Just wanted to be clear about that since I'm dropping a wall of text on you as you're getting started out. I'll back off a bit so there's more room in the kitchen, but I'm really looking forward to this one.