View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2020, 06:43 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Quick Reports about the last 2 rounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Round 2 vs Dok

Quote:
from dok
flameslayer and I starting now. Voice in the HS online discord. I have the gobbos, flameslayer has my ants and Axentia.

EDIT: I picked up the win. The slashers were extremely effective at keeping the ants from getting too many engagements, limiting their effectiveness. Meanwhile Axentia, after taking out John in 1 turn, was stuck getting based by George repeatedly and never got to Raelin. (Paul and Ringo didn't do much.)

flameslayer resigned when George killed Axentia the first time. At that point it was 9 ants and a mostly-negated Axentia against 14 slashers, Raelin, and 3 Bugbears (2 of them unwounded).

Gobbos were hella fun to play and are really strong on lava maps due to the flexibility of strategic retreat. It is kind of funny to get caught in a bad spot because you unengage yourself. The Bashers give you even more reasons to think about positioning with their attack boost and with expendable rabble (although rabble never came into play).

Axentia kind of got stuck in a bad spot and never really got going in this one. Raelin had lava in front and gobbos in the back* so Axentia coulldn't get at her. Still, 7 life is a lot.
Bonding Gobbos are strong, and Axentia has a hard time dealing damage for a figure who is 180 points. Immolate may need either an easier roll, or not affect her. I was banking on her burning up some goblins, but I put her in a bad spot. Exploding and rebirth was nice, but the game had been lost for awhile at that stage of the game.

Round 3 vs Dysole (playtesting units changes used)

I won that game, since Dysole didn't realize that Goblin Strategic Retreat is basically full on bonding, even if the Goblins didn't retreat. I used this relatively unfair advantage to tear through her Vipers, and Axentia didn't stand much of a chance either, especially with the nerfed Life.

I only used Expendable Rabble once, to protect a Basher from getting 3 wounds (killed dead) from Axentia so that he could enjoy the +2 attack from Bash. I used Goblin Attack Bonus quite a bit, and Bashed quite a bit.

Thoughts:
Axentia is not good. 12 Life is cool, but she doesn't deal enough damage. An easier roll for Immolate or not killing her from it would help, but even something simpler like +1 to attack might help.

Bugbear Basher is a mite too cheap for what you get. As a (un)common bonding option, spamming him is too good of an option over other goblin heroes, including Koggo or Urk. His attack bonus isn't quite as busted as the Swog Rider, but he also has staying power and a nice punch too. If the bonding power was scaled back though, he would probably be fine.

Goblin Slashers are a wild ballgame. They are pretty thematic, weaving in and out of battle, attacking whatever, but ultimately relying on somebody else to get the job done. Gotta say, after 3 games I'm not a fan of what is basically straight up bonding though. It would be cool if they only got the bonding if they actually retreated (although vs most melee that's pretty easy to accomplish anyway). An alternate, less design focused variant would simply be to up their cost. Although in my first two games, Raelin was not essential, I suspect in my game vs Dysole not having her would have tipped the scales in her favor more.
Could you explain how strategic retreat is an auto bonding? I read it that you have to have none engaged to move a hero. Am I reading it wrong? I played them once and got crushed by the Cathar because I had to disengage. Thanks!

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!