View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:25 PM

TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker
Opinion on WotC: Poll

First of all, I am not asking your opinion on Wizards of the Coast's other products like Magic and DnD. I just want to know what people think of WotC's Heroscape; the general consensus I've seen is that people didn't like it.

My opinion was at first negative, but then I realized WotC actually did a pretty good job, given the circumstances. They produced some cool figures, like Warforged soldiers, greenscales, Hydra, PKs, pretty much all of wave 9. What initially made me groan was that HS figures would be repaints of DnD ones, but when I heard that this was a genious marketing move, and the only other option would be to cancel the game entirely... I thought, "heck, this is better than nothing." And at least WotC took the time to repaint the DnD figures to set them apart from their original versions; it would have been just as easy to use the exact figures.

The only other problem I had with WotC's changes were uncommon heroes. I still don't like the idea of having to mark a specific hero with a sticker. But then I realized they did this so that they could package squads and heroes in the same pack, making the packs more diverse.

Despite the above reasons, I do miss the historical figures, like Romans, 4th Mass, etc, and the thematic ones, like soulborgs and Marros. In general, WotC kinda gave up on basically all original figure classes and themes that Hasbro had created. However, because the figures were DnD repaints, I guess they had no other choice. They also abandoned pretty much the whole storyline and stopped making bios for their figures, which was easily within their power to avoid.

So, overall, though WotC's reign was short-lived and (according to basically everyone) not as good as Hasbro's, I believe they handeled Heroscape fairly well. Just my 2 cents. What do you guys think?

My Satirical Strategy Review (dedz to Bothi, stay tuned for more!)

~TheCheez

Last edited by TheExplodingCheez; September 9th, 2012 at 11:28 PM.