View Single Post
Old February 9th, 2019, 09:53 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Cleon's Maps: 3 New Maps 1/13/19!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapemage View Post
Glad to see you active again Cleon! Impasse looks like a lot of fun and I plan to try it out in some playtesting soon.
Thanks man, good to hear from you again. Impasse is a fun one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
How do you get rid of the table? I'll remove that for my maps from now on.
I'm so terrible - I forgot to respond to this.
When you have a map pulled up in VirtualScape, click on "Configuration", and then click on "Preferences". In the box that pulls up, there will be a little box checked in the top right corner that says "Display table" - uncheck that box, then click "Okay", and you're good to go.
Sweet, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Thought I'd give you a bit more feedback on maps too:

Mystic Discovery
It looks very creative, and I applaud your efforts to make balanced assymetric maps! A couple things stand out to me about this one - I don't love the potential for double coverage from Raelin on power glyphs - depending on what those glyphs are, that could be really difficult for the other player to recover from. Throw in some range to compliment raelin and your screen units, and any melee units are going to struggle. The middle also feels a bit choppy with all the up and down, which is going to give range plenty of opportunities to shoot while providing speed bumps for melee.

Breach
I really like the look of this one! I might consider dropping the height on those two hills a level or tweaking them a touch in order to make them a little easire to contest (or maybe there's a way to utilize some ladders? I dunno - just thinking out loud). Also, the placement of the pocket of height right next to the 3-piece walls looks like a really powerful position. Again, I think it looks pretty solid overall - I like the use of LOS blockers and it looks visually appealing.

Good work my friend! Keep them coming!
Mystic Discovery - Yeah, this map I wanted to be as asymmetrical as I could make it haha, and I'm very happy with the results of balancing it for both sides. Whether the map is balanced as a whole is a different story; my intention for it was to be a slugfest in the middle with many glyphs and shadow spaces. I know it seems favored for slow range, but my hope is that the glyphs and shadow make up for it and let melee roll through. Basically, I tried to make the middle as powerful as I could despite it being low height. I can still see it being problematic though. One thing I made sure of was to make the highest points in the middle of the map and easily accessible from the middle. It definitely looks very hodgepodge-y, but the snow, shadow, and glyphs are very carefully placed. It only works with heavy snow, normal ice, I'd say. I made it about a year ago, but I should get some more games on it.

Breach - This map I partially modeled after Gamebear's Badru Valley, or at least I had that map in mind when I was constructing it. The two hills in the center are meant to be raised to provide cover (along with its battlements) for each side in getting to them. Once occupied, the other opposing side has the ruin on one side and the three-wall on the other for cover from the hills. The raised hexes next to the three-wall are to combat the hill if it's occupied. And all together the entire center of the map can be ran throughout thanks to the connected road, and can bring you to either glyph. I'm very happy with this one.

Thanks for the kind words Flash.