View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2021, 10:58 AM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

Stygian Rift
Overall, this map is solid. However, there is a pull to the center and right out of the start zone, and this is typically where armies mass up on the map. The molten lava on level two does help mitigate the pull to the level two height on the center right of the start zone by creating narrower paths for development. The fact that the molten lava is same-level (or unbounded molten lava) is an issue for a top-tier map, however it is fairly limited to certain parts of the map. Lastly, there are some pretty apparent Raelin perches.

Despite those issues, this map still shines. The placement of shadow tiles relative to lava is fantastic – the decision making created by the conflict between height on lava and boosted defense on shadow keeps the map from feeling stale. The whole map typically ends up being used and LOS blockers are placed well throughout it.

Dance of the Dryads
I will freely admit that that way this map is built both impresses me and causes me pain. It is amazing what Typhon2222 has done with so limited terrain, but those 24-hex dungeon tiles are living life on the edge. Considering how much I paid for my dungeon terrain, there is no way I am EVER building this map how the build instructions say to – I will always add additional supports under those 24-hex pieces. Maybe I baby my terrain too much, but I care a lot about how well maps are supported, and I think top-tier maps should be built in a way that there isn’t any undue stress on any pieces.

I say all that to add weight to the fact that I am going to upvote this map anyway. Typhon has done an excellent job with this one. Sure, it has other quirks – the pull to the left, the road speed bumps that limit the usefulness of the road to the right of the start zone, and the opportunities to make headaches for double based figures through double-based denial (also, as an aesthetic sidenote, I cringe every time I see gaps in a map, but that’s a small nitpick). The excellent placement of LOS blockers help limit the effectiveness of podding range on the left by denying shots on approaching units. Double spacers still have options, and one of the spots for double based denial is on a lava field space – making it risky to keep units there. Still, I wish that outermost lava two hex on level 3 had been turned so the end adjacent to shadow is moved inward one space – that would have solved most of the double base denial issues on the map.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog