View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2015, 01:13 AM
Fully Baked

krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker
Krysto's Customs (update: added WiP)

In general, I try to stick with a few main philosophies.
First and foremost, I try to keep cards from becoming overcomplicated.
Second, I try to stick only to figures I have the ability to proxy or own.
Third, I try to avoid posting customs for which I cannot produce a card for visual aid.

On rare occasion, I still succumb to outbursts of creativity, and on rarer occasion, the idea is so special to me that I feel the need to just roll with it.

This is one of those occasions.

To be fair, I'm not certain anyone has tried to do this particular idea- in fact, someone probably already has. That's not going to stop me, either way. The concept here was to create a unit which could mount other units - ie a literal Dragon-Rider. This started with first and foremost - how do I represent this as an ability in a simple and grokkable manner? Second, what benefits do I convey for doing this? Third, how do I make this fit in well with existing 'Scape without making for one-way synergies?

I feel like I hit all of the bullet points here and that the result isn't actually an utter mess. That being said, here is Dragon Speaker (actual name is up in the air) - Keep in mind that the listed stats are all completely arbitrary and subject to change, and that the point value is a complete mystery to me.

Dragon Speaker
  • Jandar
  • Human (Race is also arbitrary until a figure is chosen)
  • Unique Hero
  • Marauder (Any non-bonding class will work, will probably change to Dragon Speaker)
  • Fearless
  • Medium

Stats:
  • 5 Life
  • 5 Move
  • 1 Range
  • 3 Attack
  • 5 Defense
  • ??? Points

And now for the meat on the bones:
Dragon Mount
At the start of the game, you may choose a Large or Huge Dragon Hero you control. For the rest of the game, the chose Dragon is a Mount in addition to its current class.
Spoiler Alert!

Mount Up
After revealing an Order Marker on this card, you may place Dragon Speaker's figure on an adjacent, friendly Mount figure's Army Card. That figure gains the Mounted Strike Special Attack and Dismount special powers. (This ends your turn)
Spoiler Alert!

Mounted Strike Special Attack
Range 1. Attack 4.
Once, at any point before, during or after moving this figure and before attacking, you may attack with the Mounted Strike Special Attack as long as this figure is on a space where it could end its movement. This figure may still attack or use any of its special powers as normal after using the Mounted Strike Special Attack. Use this ability only while Dragon Speaker is Mounted Up.
Spoiler Alert!

Dismount
After taking a turn with this figure or when this figure is destroyed, you may place the Dragon Speaker on any adjacent same level or lower hex, or on any hex this figure occupied. If the hex is lower, roll for any falling damage that would apply. If you can't, Dragon Speaker is destroyed. Use this ability only while Dragon Speaker is Mounted Up.
Spoiler Alert!

And there you have it - a figure which can Mount other figures, granting them the ability to strike at foes as they charge across the battlefield, and then Dismount when needed. On the board, he/she's just a vanilla dude/dudette, but isn't entirely worthless on their own. In terms of OM management, there is rarely a scenario where you aren't fully in control of the duo - you choose when to Mount Up, and if you are Dismounting voluntarily, you have control over which unit will be taking the next turn. There's no awkward handling of Order Markers, and it should work quite well in practice. As for the event of your opponent Mind Shackling your Mount? I've actually considered this and it fits into the rules quite well: you still control the Dragon Speaker, but the Mount is the figure with all the abilities, so your opponent gets to use Mounted Strike and also has control over Dismount, so flying that Mounted Nilfheim across the map, Striking down one of your units, and then dumping the Dragon Speaker into Lava is a perfectly valid play. All the while, you "control" Dragon Speaker, but it only matters where his figure is and who controls that figure, so cheeky use of mind control can be quite costly.

I hope you guys enjoyed this little idea dump, I don't intend to do them quite often, and only when I feel like the result is worth reading. Yes the effects fit on a standard HS card, and yes, they're quite readable when they do, so huzzah, I suppose?

Sometimes, you just have to start over.