View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2017, 10:08 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: Leaf_It's Maps, and Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
If you build a map with uncapped towers, it is the map maker who is breaking the rules. When a tournament director selects a map with uncapped towers for a tournament, people understand that the map is technically breaking the rules, but it is of no consequence to the players. They play as normal.
I love what you said, and I'm going to add onto this statement. I think you missed a key word. The bold should read "it is of no negative consequence to the players."

In fact, when a map-builder breaks the rules and allows uncapped towers, or doesn't add the 2nd level to the Warehouse, there are positive consequences for the players because that balances the map. Those rules, in a competitive setting, are overpowering for flying, range, and screens, but once they're broken, maps including columns and warehouses can be competitive (Ruins of Clionesia and Mayberry, for example).

The BoV follows all of the rules and consequently, has no approved maps using a Marvel set and the one map with capped castle columns (Broken Skyline) is no longer competitively viable.

On the flip-side, when a map-builder doesn't, by the rules, allow room for the Hive, that has negative consequences on a player using the Hive because that player has to drop the Hive. That then leads to tournament directors having to make an executive decision to allow the player to break the rules to accommodate for that player's army.

I've said this already but I'll say it again, as far as Lost Road Marsh goes, the Hive issue isn't even the biggest issue (though I am glad it's getting the attention it needs to from ARV). There are other larger competitive issues that need tended to and that would be far more detrimental to it seeing a tournament table than just not having technical space for the Hive.