View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2018, 01:52 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: Orc's Tips to Improve Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
0) I was blessed to be able to play tons of games against my dad, who is also an accomplished player in the competitive scene.

1) Don't Blame the Dice

2) Maximize your range.

3) Take those chances because you'll lose if you don't
Great discussion.

0) So... DragonRuler isn't your real dad?

1) This is something that a lot of players like to talk about every single game. Good dice here, bad dice there. It takes effort to look beyond that and figure out what you or your opponent did that made those good or bad dice matter as much as they did. I'm still terrible at it.

2) This is one of my favorite points, partly because I get to talk about beating @Deroche at GenCon. He had 4th Mass. against my Aubriens, so I was outnumbered and out-valued, so I had to come up with some advantage I could exploit... and it was printed right there on the card: 6 Range vs 7 Range. By jumping on height when the opportunity presented itself and otherwise retreating to my maximum range, I was able to force the 4th to keep moving and never get to use Wait then Fire... and won with a single Archer left.

3) This one I realized watching players better than myself play. I think it was at GenCon and I don't remember the situation or even the players, but I do remember the lightbulb moment. Someone made a risky move (disengage, or disadvantageous engagement, or something like) that I never would've thought of and never would've done at the time even if I had. The subsequent attack and kill swung the game to their advantage, and I was blown away by the effect of such a seemingly small play. I try to recognize those moments in my own games now, and hopefully make (and succeed) more of those plays than my opponents!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13