View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2022, 06:34 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Vydar's Custom Units Thread: UPDATE 11/25/21

@Just_a_Bill , replying to your post from Help with Wurdz over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post
Quote:
IMPALE SPECIAL ATTACK
Range Special, Attack 4.
Choose 8 spaces in a straight line from NAME. Choose 1 figure at least 4 spaces away from NAME on the chosen line spaces to attack. Any figures both adjacent to the chosen figure and on the chosen line spaces are affected by Piercing Shot Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately.
This is a cool special (and yes, a really nice figure). I'm late to the party, but something that confused me on first read was how there could be two additional targets. This is because I was envisioning the chosen figure being the one I am conceptually aiming at. In reality I'm "choosing" the one standing right behind the one I'm aiming at, which is a bit counterintuitive. It works with splash attacks like flamethrowers and grenades and such, but doesn't make sense with an arrow (unless Yondu is whistling it around).

So I brainstormed a possible alternative, which may be better or worse; take it for what it is, or isn't.

Also, I appreciate the desire to incorporate a realistic arrow angle. If you can live with the closest target being 2 spaces away rather than 3, then this can be simplified using the word "non-adjacent" instead of another range of numbers.
Choose 8 spaces in a straight line from NAME. Choose a non-adjacent figure on one of the chosen spaces to attack. Any figures on the chosen line that are 1 or 2 spaces behind the chosen figure are also affected by Piercing Shot Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately.
If the minimum distance of 3 is important, you could try this less-conventional-but-more-intuitive wording:
Choose a figure on a straight line from NAME that is 3 to 8 spaces away to attack. Any figures in that straight line that are 1 or 2 spaces behind the chosen figure are also affected by Piercing Shot Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately.
Finally, there is an approach that doesn't require the main target to be on a Mimringy line in those cases where you are willing to give up the secondary and tertiary targeting option:
Choose a figure 3 to 8 spaces away to attack. If that figure is in a straight line of spaces from NAME, any figures in the same line that are 1 or 2 spaces directly behind the chosen figure are also affected by Piercing Shot Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately.
So this lets you fire at any one figure at any angle, like other archers, but if you can manage a "clean" angle that's straight down a run of hexes ("with the grain," so to speak) then you can affect up to two more targets.
Thanks for putting so much thought into my power. I've designed the rest of the card since that post. See "Wistari" in the OP or a few posts back.

As written the minimum distance is 4, not 3. So pulling it in to be "non-adjacent" as your first version suggests is a bigger change than I think you thought. That said, I don't mind it and I will probably test her with that range at some point. I can see her crouching or shooting from one knee and reducing the angle that way.

I don't understand the point of your third version. Wouldn't you just use her normal attack at that point? (I figured it out. Its because you only saw the power in a vacuum, not the rest of the card.)

My biggest issue with your versions is the word "behind." I don't think there is precedence for this term and it is therefore unclear. You're using "behind" to mean "farther away from Wistari than," which is more clear but is more of a mouthful. However, when I plug that whole phrase in, I like the result. I think the targeting in this version is more intuitive and I think I'll use it moving forward. Thanks!

Quote:
IMPALING ARROW SPECIAL ATTACK (Original)
Range Special, Attack 4.
Choose 8 spaces in a straight line from Wistari. Choose 1 figure at least 4 spaces away from Wistari on the chosen line spaces to attack. Any figures both adjacent to the chosen figure and on the chosen line spaces are affected by Impaling Arrow Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately.

IMPALING ARROW SPECIAL ATTACK (Edited)
Range Special, Attack 4.
Choose 8 spaces in a straight line from Wistari. Choose 1 figure at least 4 spaces away from Wistari on the chosen line spaces to attack. Any figures on the chosen line spaces that are 1 or 2 spaces farther away from Wistari than the chosen figure are also affected by Impaling Arrow Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately.

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet

Last edited by Vydar_XLIII; February 17th, 2022 at 06:36 PM. Reason: I figured it out...