View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2021, 10:03 AM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Vydar's Custom Units Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismaticSounds View Post
Really love the BeastMaster mechanic and the synergies it brings. Sounds like a lot of fun in home games and opens up an interesting RPG element with the unique choices. The minis are also all quite unique in their theme.

Animated Armor was a cool use of this mini and the Mage/Wizard synergy was a good choice. Though I wonder why Animata is not used here?

The very first thing I felt with the Bitter Sea Colony, is that I prefer a 3 figure squad instead. With the other Safari figs, a swarm theme is supported, but I don't think that trope needs to be followed here.
Grappling Claws is a fun nerfing of Cyberclaw. I don't mind Exoskeleton, but have always felt strangely with how it can be used stacking on a single figure. A poor slip of a themed mechanic imo. And slight support to my reasoning for 1 less figure per squad if you are going to use it. (An opportunity to fix exoskeleton raises my interest)
Amphibious is a pretty strong power which is kept in check for the Sahuagin being as lacking as they are. Not saying it should not be used, but it's combination with exoskeleton is an odd one, yet has some intrigue.

For Nefta, I add my vote to wording E.

Zankor the Bound. Such a cool looking Card/Figure. Nicely, there are still some that can be bought online. Besides it being a BA figure that exists in a BA universe, I don't feel much urge to play this figure if I owned it, having no unique abilities. Perhaps I'm missing something here. From my understanding, if you are able to keep him away from your team, you shouldn't have to suffer the 1 wound? It's a fun shifting mechanic I could see used in scenarios.
I'm glad you like the Beastmaster cards! I think they are some of my best work. I don't think they're there yet, though. I think there's an opportunity to specialize Ghar and Haxhal for Swamp and Dungeon/Shadow similarly to how Tamaska is specialized for Snow. But I also want to keep the complexity and the price down. I'll probably have a second set of cards that goes in a different direction and see how the reactions are.

The specific reason I used Armor over Animata is because both Animata cards we currently have are from Arctorus (Ebon Armor, Sentinels of Grax). Arctorus, by my understanding, is the alien/sci-fi/technology world. The Animated Armor is explicitly the D&D concept that works with the fantasy wizards from Feylund, Toril, and Eberron. I don't want the Animated Armor to be included in any future Animata synergy webs. So I gave them a unique race.

I've yet to playtest the BSC. A 3-person squad might be the best way to go for them. But a 4-person squad without EXOSKELETON (possibly with better stats?) is also on the table. Also I'm glad you pointed out that the name of the power on the Sahuagin Raider is "AMPHIBIOUS" and not "AQUATIC." Is it weird to call a crab amphibious? I kind of feel that it is. Is this one of those situations where 1 power has 2 names (like SHAOLIN ASSAULT, MASTER'S ASSAULT and WHIRLWIND ASSAULT) but the most recent is more universally applicable? IDK.

That's 3 votes for E and none against. When I write up her card, I'll include E wording.

I'm not sure I understand your understanding of Zankor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismaticSounds
From my understanding, if you are able to keep him away from your team, you shouldn't have to suffer the 1 wound?
I reason to play Zankor is to give the Nhah Scirh a fifth attack per turn. The Nhah Scirh want to be close to him in order to buff the d20 roll so that their opponent doesn't get a turn with him. Thematically this is holding him prisoner, perhaps literally holding the chains that bind him. The less cultists near him the more difficult it is to control him and he may lash out at his captors (take 1 wound and then take a turn with him) or momentarily break free from containment (your opponent takes a turn with him). I think those. Yes, you could send him away from your army on turn 1 but then he is much more likely for your opponent to take a turn with him. I also don't think he is destructive or tanky enough to be able to do much or survive very long on his own.

Thanks for all the feedback!

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet