View Single Post
Old August 24th, 2021, 09:30 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Custom Unit Playtesting Exchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Trails;
Thanks. The unit I posted is intended to be a stand-alone defensive piece that plays as a blocker/one-man screen. The synergy with Eilan Sidhe (and Quasatch Hunters, for that matter) is secondary, but the Sidhe are cheap enough that they often found their way into the armies that I tested. As long as you pair the unit with something that appreciates a big, distracting presence on the board or a movement-restricting effect, the exact army you choose is up to you.

I have a couple questions for you, though. First, if you think the Ruststalkers might be a little over-tuned, would you rather have me run them against other top-notch units or against weaker armies that would tend to be routed by top-notch units? Second, is there anything from your original playtest that I should know? Things like good partners or counterplay that isn't immediately obvious would be great.
All right. I'll do a few games with different armies and see how he performs.

As far as the Ruststalkers, you can throw whatever you want at them: be it armies of your choice or well-known high-tier armies. Their ability to jump over screens makes them pretty nasty, so feel free to throw them through the wringer if you see fit.

There aren't really great combo partners that I could think of, other than Raelin (since they can ignore an opponent's Raelin granting them an advantage in the Aura game). I think a lot of my playtests paired them with Marro Drones due to being cheap and swarming, good for cleaning up should the Ruststalkers do enough damage.

Good counterplay in my playtests were using a single unit to foil Covert (if a Ranged Squad can't hit them due to Covert, send one of them down to within 3 Spaces before attacking to negate it). Solid Bread-n-Butter squads can also beat them (any decent melee squads at 70 Points or less can trade against them easily, many of which get 5 Activations due to Bonding).

~TAF, off to practice
Adeptus Ruststalkers playtest report for TheAverageFan.

I'm posting a little later than I had hoped, but I enjoyed using the unit. I thought that they were versatile enough that I could gauge their power level fairly well without fighting Raelin, but I can run another game against her if you'd like.