View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:00 AM

Looking East knows what's in an order marker Looking East knows what's in an order marker
Re: Greenscale Warriors Pre-Release Discussion

I think unlike most common squads the greenscales may actually perform best when only one or two squads are used as the fellow above me stated. Most of the dragons are too fragile and will probably get taken down by a savy opponent as his absolute #1 priority. Once the dragon is gone the greenscales are quite poor units.

I think one of the greatest things about the greenscales is that they bond with some extremely powerful ranged heroes which means that you have a relatively cheap bonded screen that can move and attack each round as your dragon blasts away from the distance. Unlike the rats these guys get to roll attack dice right along side the unit they are screening. Zelrig can sit back at serious distance blasting fire balls over the greenscales heads as they club away at the enemy rangers.

Nilf can spit out 3 ranged attacks of 4 dice already and adding another three attacks from the green scales lets you throw more attack dice at your opponent than anything else I can think of off the top of my head. Its possible to roll 21 attack dice per OM with these guys not even considering height or other bonuses.

The down side, and of course it's a pretty serious one, is that these are very expensive combos. Essentially you are putting all your eggs in one basket. Almost your entire army is going to revolve around a single piece, your dragon. If that dragon goes down early, then you are pretty much done, which is the reason I think two sets are plenty. I think those left over points would be better spent on something like the Krav or Raelin. The krav can go out ahead and deal with troublesome range units or evil pieces like Atlaga and Raelin can make your dragon less of a glass cannon. The new Phantom Knights might actually make nice support units for taking out key threatening pieces also. Rats would be another option if you will likely face large numbers of enemy rangers.

Last edited by Looking East; March 16th, 2010 at 06:23 AM.