View Single Post
Old January 21st, 2009, 12:28 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: Cookie Cutter Army Discussion and Tiers

I believe that Q9/Raelin/KMA/Laglor is the best Vydar ranged core possible. It's really good, almost perfect. Unlike the Elven Wizards, each part is very powerful in and of itself.

People will usually take out Raelin first. While they're doing that, Q9 is killing your rats or the KMA are sniping whatever they want to from 9 range. Laglor's boost is huge here, and on some maps, you won't even need to adjust Raelin or Laglor in the opening round to start taking shots with the Krav.

If (this is actually a pretty big if) they take out Raelin, they'll probably want to deal with the Krav. Once 1 or 2 Krav are dead, you can go nuts with Q9 and kill whatever's left.

If they somehow manage to kill Q9, you've still got Laglor left. I'd say he's 80-90% as good in the cleanup role as Kaemon Awa is. He's rock solid.

Changing it at all is a significant change in either its power, or how it plays.

One of the armies that beat my Vanilla Ice in Day 1 of the Championship this year was this one played by Eirikr:

4x Deathreavers 160
Major Q9 340
KMA 440
Raelin 520

I'd classify this as a Rat-Podge, or maybe even A+ Junk before I'd call it Vydar Ranged. It was on my list of 25 brainstormed armies,* and I called it Douchenozzle. It's still a Tier 1 army, no doubt about it.

He had more rats than me, and better defense. Despite the fact that I won the initiative in the first round, an order marker gaffe I made cost me the control of the fixed Attack glyph. His rats and Krav scared the crap out of me, but one lucky shot of 5v5 from Q9 at 8 range (4 skulls v. 0 shields) against my Nilfheim took the wind out of my sails and gave me no chance of winning.

I'm not sure if a Microcorp army would be as good, but the MCA are one squad that I'm wondering if I'm underestimating... but they can be really map dependent. 2 attack sucks if you can't get height. (To answer your question, I think that Raelin, MCA, Rats, and Q9 would just be a rat podge variant. Pretty much anything with 2-3x Rats and ranged would be a rat podge. Call it Three R's if you like: Raelin, Rats, and Ranged).

*Note that Vanilla Ice, or "Stingers/Nilf" was the first on my list. The 1st and 2nd place armies at the tourney were also on it. I didn't even make anyone sign an NDA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; January 21st, 2009 at 12:59 PM.