View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2018, 07:25 PM

vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker
Re: NEW CONTEST! - Secret Treasures of Valhalla

I am not a pro at building (I have watched and participated in these contests) so take my point of view as opinion and theory only. All three of these maps would hold a proud place on my table and I would enjoy playing on them as is.
@rednax
Bridge may be icy: My first concern is the Glyph under the bridge. It looks like it can be reached in the first turn by a move 6 with some type of movement ability (flying etc)

I would also be concerned with who can stand under the bridge and hold it due to size limitations, so armies with large figures may not have an option to use the glyph. In the same vein, if a smaller figure holds it the height limits large melee figures positioning to assault it.

I also believe the opportunity for a first turn start zone attack is there but Im not sure with the LOS.

The map is beautiful and I love the use of the LOS blockers. The bridge would be powerful high ground but I think the road would make it hard to hold even if taken early.

Overall like most of your maps, this one would definitely find a spot on my table.

Jungle Fever: Again beautiful map. I like the way the lava field limits the high ground, especially around the Glyphs.

The only thing I can see for concern for me would be the higher sand spaces next to the bushes close to the start point, which would encourage a range pod to set up with little penalty because the high ground that could assault it is lava field discouraging melee.

EDIT: I just noticed the approach for the Glyph on the "bottom" of the map is a little constricted and easy to hold against melee due to the lava.

@superfrog A very good looking map. The shadow is a nice touch although I havent played with it competitively enough to comment on placement.

I think the same concern with Glyphs would trouble your map (overhang) Also the two in the center cant be picked up by double spaced figures.

I would also like to see the Triple mountains on there somewhere because I enjoy the look of them but that is just personal preference. Without playing on it I wouldnt know where to begin placing them for balance.

Great work to both of you!

Last edited by vvildeyedjoker; July 10th, 2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: New observation.