View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2021, 07:01 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: The New York City Gang Of Four

After a year delayed due to the Pandemic, we finally held our REUNION GAME DAY! The NYCG4 gathered from 1 PM to 9 PM, with time out for a rare dinner out at the local diner. We played two great games of Scape, using a different map for each.

Ishmel took pictures, and hopefully you'll be seeing them soon here. He also totally revived my C3V collection! Since that committee began I've been printing out their cards in black and white. He brought over all new cards in color and on more durable cardstock for the entire C3V/SOV collection. Our newest member also brought over some terrain and figures he was downsizing, and I've got it all here now for group use, from C3V customs to interesting proxies generally usable in future games and about a Master Set's worth of terrain. Thanks, Ish!

In our eight armies we experimented with 13 of the 20 new C3V figures (some served in more than one army). I listed upthread which were released during the Pandemic, when we were inactive as Scapers. There were also about half a dozen SOV cards I'd never seen before, so they will go into the mix as I hold Scissors Mania over the next few weeks to cut them all out from their sheets. I don't have enough card sleeves for all to be permanently protected as my Classic Cards are, but with C3V we sleeve the ones we are using for each game. Maybe I'll buy more sleeves!

I had a "Welcome Scapers" sign on my door, and provided beer and snacks. Kolakoski brought over a now legal mood enhancer which was much appreciated. Also now that T.'s and K.'s Scape is currently in storage, I supplied all the gaming equipment for everyone's armies but I.'s!

Taeblewalker made his three hour trip from upstate--he's a driving fool! What a guy. Sherman Davies looks forward to getting vaccinated and joining us next month. He says he hasn't been here on the site for quite a while, but besides many other contributions, including for the C3V, his own libraries of of regular and Superhero customs are onsite here for your enjoyment.

GAME ONE: Free For All on Jungle Rot map.

Armies: (See lists upthread)

Chas II
Ishmel II
Kolakoski I
Taeblewalker II

This game offered the usual mayhem with everyone bashing everyone else. Two of us were using the new Marro Re-Tak Shi, so before each turn we both rolled for our Rise From The Swamp power, and sometimes relocated either or both. I was trying to hit K., but got hit hard by T., and had to divert most of my efforts against him. Meanwhile I. squared off against the other two. I. and I were the only two players who didn't fight each other, being diagonally across from each other on the large map. We used our Marros. I.s Wildwood Army didn't actually benefit from all the water and swamp, and wasn't in this game.

I managed to put some hits on K.s Mogrim with Myrddin. Mogrim, Marcus, and Simon Frasier gave much support to K.s Roman army. My Viceron The Blood Knight took out three of T.s Marro Warriors, at the self sacrificing of his last wound, so he was a Suicide Squad member indeed. Then someone else took out T's last Marro Warrior so they could no longer water clone, and my sacrifice was not in vain. Myrddin did great service for me and Kelda healed him, but he finally went down. The same for my new Marro.

Toward the end my Kelda took a leaving engagement to heal my Marro, with only one life left. Re-Tak-Shi had attacked T's same figure, just for fun (duelling Re-Tak-Shis) But both of my last figures went down, the Marro when she took a leaving engagement to try and make a final attack. We fought to the end!

After a long while I was finally eliminated. I. had only three of his own Marro Warriors left, K. had only Kha, and T. his own Re-Tak-Shi. So the other guys figured they would be dancing around on the big board for another long while, and called the game. We went out to dinner and had a rare time to socialize in a group.

GAME TWO: Team Game: Chas and Ishmel vs Kolakoski and Taeblewalker on the Basalt Cathedral map.

Armies (See lists upthread)

Chas I
Ishmel I
Kolakoski II
Taeblewalker I

This game turned out to be much more one sided, as the I.'s Wildwood army reigned supreme. At first Morsbane threatened it with the only real peril which could really threaten it. But he got sidetracked by the dueling Syvarrises, going after that of T., who put the wizard down with some help. Then the invincible march of the "Ents" began, and could not be stopped, even when it took casualties.

Meanwhile I saw that K. was veering off to double team my partner I., so I veered off to the center. My HimmelWyvern did some damage, as did my Caucasus Rifles. I'd also moved up my Honor Guards, but they didn't get into it all that much, although like the other new cards, I learned to use them. By the time my beast Breach came out, he was mostly doing clean up! I. had some great "non-Official" proxies in all three sizes for the Wildwoods; he says he really does plant figures! Our enemies resigned after T. was wiped out as the plant men rampaged through his start zone. And I had been afraid the "Ents" would be too slow to be effective on the large map.

K.'s Kha had messed me up in Game One so I vowed revenge on him for Game II, but I never got to him, so I definitely owe the Serpentfolk figure some payback. His nice design always entertains in the games we've had him in!

When we finally knocked off, the guys dismantled the two maps for me, so I could put them away another day. There are terrain, figures, cards, and other gaming components all over the place, and tired and happy, I called it a night, after watching the last half of and then a summary of President Biden's Address To Congress speech on TV.

I've got two days to clean up before my first nonScape "Postpandemic" live game here on Saturday, which will be Hellenica: Story of Greece. Meanwhile, I just got shipping notification that the first Kickstarter of six that will be coming from now into the Fall should be here any day now. This game is Titans. Meanwhile, I've got a continuing game of Star Trek Ascendancy tonight on TTS as the awesome Andorians! Its been a particularly full week, with one on one or solitaire games of various C&C games: Commands & Colors Tricorne American Revolution, Medieval, and the new Samurai Battles earlier on. Whew!

(Note: Ishmel's photos and commentary appear below!)

Last edited by chas; May 1st, 2021 at 07:53 AM.