View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2017, 09:41 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Frostgrave, Halo Ground Command and other tabletop minis

Well to start the ball a rolling, I figured I'd share some pictures of a neoprene (mousepad material) game mat that I got yesterday from a pre-order back in April from Frontline Gaming. It's 4'x4' and is the Snow Covered Tundra design.

They had a pre-order special back in April where the 4x4 mats were $55 including shipping. Regularly they are $60 +shipping. The other size mats, 3x3 and 4x6 were similarly discounted. They have a ton of designs available and are made in America.

I chose to go with the Snow Covered Tundra version because it will likely be my only gaming mat for awhile, as gaming funds get spread about for various things I need/want. I already have a green piece of felt that hangs over my 4x6 miniatures game table. I got it oversized and for use with Halo Ground Command, having a grassy look for that game, as well as possible uses for other games in the future. It was only like $13, so it was a good price compared to the neoprene, fleece and vinyl mats. So I was set with a green/grassy look. Well since getting into Frostgrave, I figured that some snow was needed, and since I have put so much time and effort into building and painting terrain and miniatures, I wanted a mat that would add a little more pop to the setup. But, knowing this was likely going to be the only one of these for awhile, I decided not to go with the all snow and ice version (my buddy Chris has one of those anyway), so I figured getting one with snow and tundra would be good, as I could cover up more tundra with terrain pieces when I want a more snow covered look for Frostgrave, but also cover up more snow area with terrain pieces when I want more tundra look for games like Halo Ground Command. Though, I think having both snow and tundra showing equally on the mat will work well for either of those games too.

While Frostgrave is played on a 3x3 play area, there are ways around that with a 4x4 mat, as you simply adjust starting zones further away from the board edge. Though, for a 4 player game, it could certainly be played to the full 4x4 size. Halo Ground Command is at 4x4 play area for small and medium sized games. So that will work for sure.

So here's the mat, laying on the floor in my basement. I don't have my 4x6 game table setup down there at the moment, and the 3x4ish oval table that we play most games on is too small to accommodate the mat.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon