View Single Post
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:23 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Captain Stupdendous' Custom Units

Thanks for the comments Ixe! I really like your idea to limit his possession to adjacent heroes and increase his movement stat. I somewhat arbitrarily made his stats the way they are to mirror Finn and Thorgrim since thematically and, to some extent, mechanically, I see him as a corrupted version of the Viking Champions. However, I wouldn't have a problem with boosting his movement or adjusting any other stat if it would help to balance him. I'm thinking I would probably boost his movement to seven; play testing will see if that works or not.

Also, thank you so much for providing help to tighten up the wording on his admittedly lengthy special ability. I had one question about your new wording, however. You write that "When revealing an Order Marker on Ulrick, after taking a turn with Ulrick, if Ulrick is on an Army Card, you may take temporary control of that Hero..."

My concern is what would happen if Ulrick was on another figure's Army Card at the start of his own turn. With your wording, would you still be able to take temporary control of the possessed Hero since you technically haven't been able to first take a turn with Ulrick, since he was not in play when you revealed the Order Marker? This is a rules conundrum I was puzzling over when originally deciding upon the wording myself, and settled upon the current wording ("After taking a turn with Ulrick or revealing an Order Marker on this card, if Ulrick is on an Army Card...") so that you could still take a turn with the possessed Hero whether or not you had already taken a turn with Ulrick. However, I may well be wrong in assuming that you can't take a turn with a unit that is out of play. (I think the nearest thing to this scenario in canonical scape would be to ask if you could technically "take a turn" [even though you wouldn't be able to do anything] with the Airborne Elite by placing an order marker on their card before they have made The Drop, or whether you would skip their turn because they aren't in play yet). When I was designing the card I figured that you probably couldn't take a turn with a figure that wasn't defeated yet but for some reason wasn't currently in play, however, if someone with a greater knowledge of the deep magic of Heroscape rules intricacies could provide an argument to the contrary, I think your wording would be preferable.

I also really like your suggestion to simplify the die roll choices after taking the possessed turn. It makes it quite a bit harder for him to stay "inside" the possessed target, which decreases his survivability quite a bit, but thats not necessarily a bad thing. I think that just from the point of view of mechanics alone I might like my original die roll results a little better, but if space requires me to choose between your revised version and cutting stealth flying I'd definitely adopt your wording to keep stealth flying.

Right now, one concern I have about the figure is how his ability would play out if you have also drafted Migol or Zetacron. I fear that the smart thing to do if playing with either of those two characters would be to just put your first Order Marker on Ulrick, possess Zetacron, then don't place any more order markers on Ulrick until Zetacron is dead. While I don't think this strategy is necessarily "broken", I am worried that it would be clearly better than using Ulrick offensively to possess your opponent's figures, which I see as his most interesting use.

One obvious fix would be to restrict Ulrick to being able to possess only your opponent's figures. However, I also really liked the possibilities arising from possessing your own heroes. I especially loved the thematic implications of possessing your own Finn or Thorgrim and then charging your possessed Viking champion into the middle of your opponent's army. When he dies not only would you get Finn or Thorgrim's attack spirit, but Ulrick would then be in perfect position to wreak havoc in your enemy's start zone by possessing their unique heroes. Any thoughts on this? Again, thank you for your kind comments; I'm glad you liked him!