View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Monster Manual Memorizer

Robotech Master has disabled reputation
Re: Warmachine and Hordes General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bothi View Post
I'm impressed. I have a sizable Protectorate army, but that is about it. We have three shops with a decent player-base, but I only frequent one. I plan on picking up Legion soon, starting with the 2 Player Starter Box. I want to be lesser-heavy, think you could suggest me a 'lock?
Some of my armies are more sizable than others, and there are a few things in each faction that I haven't picked up because I either think they aren't that great or have no intent to play them.

With Legion I have practically everything except Grotesques (in deep need of a UA to make them better), Scather Crew (made obsolete by the Ravagore), Archers (made obsolete by Striders), and Teraph (mostly made obsolete by Naga).

If you're really intent on going lesser-heavy, your best bet is Thagrosh the Messiah (Thagrosh2). His feat works well with Shredders who used Rabid that turn, since they will still be considered Rabid for their mini-turn. Also, if you cast Manifest Destiny, that will still be in play during the mini-turn. It results in all of your Shredders getting to move and make an extra attack with 4 dice to hit and 4 dice to damage, dropping the lowest from each.

I would suggest investing mostly in Shredders with some Harriers and Stingers. Harriers can be fielded, but Stingers are best suited for being created by spawning vessels, so I would suggest picking up that.

I don't think anyone else really handles lesser spam as well as Thagrosh2 does; Legion of Everblight really loves their heavy warbeasts and thrives based on how powerful and fast they are with their mix of ranged and melee combat.

While Thagrosh2 can make it sorta happen, it's not strictly a very competitive list; way too many hard counters where accurate of even auto-hitting low POW attacks end up doing a lot of damage to lessers where bigger beasts would shrug them off. Inserting a decent troop screen and some heavies puts you on a more competitive level. Depends on what point value you think you'll be playing mostly.

The upcoming Beast Mistress may be an interesting inclusion in some other warlock lists; she's like a mini warlock that can only run lessers; she's not out yet though, I can't tell you how effective her a flock of lessers might be.