View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Re: Mmirg's Moderately Marvellous Maps

Thanks for the kind words and compliments. I've had a lot of fun making (and playing with) these. I've been through dozens of "this is exactly right" moments with both, but I've still got little things here or there on both of them that I'm not 100% on. (Yes, I am OCD, why do you ask?)

@dok: Zelrig is just plain difficult on small maps, as you know from the other threads--probably better than anyone. I wanted to try to recreate Feylund Fountain, which is loaded with Z issues. I tried to fix a few issues (like not have a perfect center 2-space with a moat of watery protection for the big Z), but in the end I'm afraid the basic 14" footprint of this idea just doesn't work with Z--at least not that I've found. I'd have to stretch the map out further, I think.

I played with starting zones, but there just isn't anywhere further back to really go. If I back out of the middle section, then I have units starting even closer to the corner heights. I kept going round in circles and ended here.

Do you have any thoughts on where you see start zones working better? (I can easily swap a hidden green 24 with a rock 24 and avoid that confusion; I just couldn't find any place to put the start zones that seemed significantly better...)

@Creationist: I love the temple--a really fun map, with lots of moving--hopping pillar to pillar, swinging around for glyphs, castle walk and ladders in play. Good times.

I will say, though, that it is not so good with a team of mostly Deathstalkers . I couldn't convince my 4-yr-old to try a different army and it was a brutal massacre--good thing he came right back and stomped me out of existence on the Volcarren Fountain with a Tor-Kul-Na army. He ended the day happy--and I was glad to see a TNA army could play that map fairly well.