View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2021, 05:26 PM

Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: C3G Comics Guide and Theme Review

C3G’s Comics Recommendations
If you walk into a comics shop and are looking for a good superhero comic, chances are you should pick Daredevil. Every Daredevil book I've read has been quite good at the very least and some of it has been the best stuff I've read (I'm sure there is a bad run somewhere, but I haven't gotten to it). Daredevil has tons of fantastic runs and he remains one of my favorite characters.

Best Introduction:
Daredevil by Mark Waid {vols. 3 & 4}/(Daredevil by Mark Waid Vol 1)
This run I think is a great introduction for newbies and I think I've read about halfway through each (3 & 4) and found them non-stop entertaining. We also see a more fun-loving, swashbuckling type DD like in the originals, but still weighed down by his serious inner demons. It's a perfect mix between the old Stan Lee type stuff and the gritty bottom of a sewer Miller type stuff.
On top of that the art is amazing! The illustrations and panels do a great job of communicating his radar sense and is sleek enough to be friendly to new readers. Honestly, the art alone is enough reason to give it a read.
Grab the first trade and give it a go.

Iconic/Must Reads:
- First I should probably mention, Man Without Fear, the Frank Miller Daredevil origin story, I still haven't read it yet, so I can't say whether it should be the intro book, although it is highly recommended by many.
- Vol 1 "the early stuff"/(Daredevil Epic Collection: The Man Without Fear)
Of the classic Marvel debuts, I found Spider-Man, DD, and X-Men to be the most enjoyable. You really see him jumping around on rooftops, cheesing it up, and I love it. You also get his origin and an intro to the supporting cast of Foggy, Karen, and the law office. Really what might drag it down are the mostly forgettable villains, while I may have a soft spot for Stilt-Man orthe Owl, them and the others hold it back from being the best book for someone just getting into DD.
- Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson/(Trade Vol 1 or Omnibus)
This is the real source of when DD got dark. After this a lot of DD stories are about making Matt suffer as a tragic hero and sometimes antihero, some of which are pretty good. What you really see here are the introduction of a lot of cornerstone parts of Daredevil's story; Elektra, the Hand, his rivalry with Bullseye, and Matt personally putting himself in charge of keeping Kingpin in check.
- Daredevil: End of Days
A fantastic detective story, with Ben Urich tracking down the mystery behind Matt Murdock's death some 20 years in the future. I really enjoyed this one.
- Another one that should be checked out is Ann Nocenti's run, with the Typhoid Mary arc collected in Daredevil Epic Collection: A Touch of Typhoid. I've really been meaning to read this one as well.

Thematic Favorites

Best Design of the Bunch:
II is probably the smarter pick in most games (Go The Distance is so fun), but the first DD really captures him at his most iconic, Man Without Fear (a power titled just for him) lets him hit everybody in the room and his Radar Sense, similar to Spidey's spider sense, lets him dodge bullets and leap up to the rafters just like he does in the comics. Criminal Intimidation doesn't come into play a lot, but if anyone should have it, it's Daredevil.
And a shoutout to Matt Murdock for bringing in the lawyering side.

edit: ugh, I changed my mind, II is the best one

Future Design Ideas:
Original Yellow suit, for sure. I know I saw a design somewhere in the public...

Last edited by Splash; May 9th, 2022 at 08:09 PM.