View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla-TAKING NOMINATIONS!

My suggestion to nominate "one or more" was not intended to encourage 5 in a post. As far as I've noticed, nobody goes to the BoV and nominates 5 maps at once. Even Dignan's maps only go in one at a time.

Another preliminary remark: Speaking for myself, and maybe yes maybe not for the other judges, I am looking for something significantly different from many of the fine customs I've seen on these boards. I want to review units that are *balanced* and *thematic* and have *balanced costs.* Also they need to be playable not just for you, customs creator, and your friends, but for me and my friends and for the various 'Scapers around the globe. Not just for fun, casual play, but for tournament play.

Many of the fine customs around the site, like Therrian's Nightwalker and Bodaks, look outstanding and bring new flavor to the game. But that does not mean they are necessarily ready to withstand the rigors of, say, two 11 year olds trying to understand the card, or one guy nonchalantly passing it to his opponent at a tournament and the TD has to come over to try to decipher the 1,000 conditions on the activation of Giant Evil Ray Gun Death Lazer Mini Explosion Quasi Special Attack.

For now we don't have a rule against dropping 5 nominations in one post, and I have a few minutes to tap out my votes on some of Krysto's units, so here goes:

Asmodeus: Interesting combination of powers. Seems almost like a melee version of Me Burq Sa, which could explain his 50 point cost. I am troubled by a couple things. The venom counters, intended to last beyond the loss of Asmodeus (or not? wording is not clear), seem very powerful, particularly with the 25% chance to prevent defense dice from being rolled. I have my doubts about the amount of playtesting done at this point cost, frankly.

Also, and this may just be me, "Asmodeus" is not some randomly generated name pulled from a hat. It's an old, old name for the "King of Demons," though I first recognized it from AD&D as the name of the Lord of the Nine Hells. It just doesn't seem right to give a name like that to a height 3 snake, like giving "Charlemagne" to Finn. Just doesn't seem right. No to Asmodeus.

I'll have to give some thought to the Blood Raptors. It appears to me that they can only attack once per OM, it's a movement bonding thing they have going on. You list them as a Small 3; I suppose that means they are small and fit on a single hex base. I'll come back to this one later but I am concerned about its cost.

Gordyrr:
Very thematic. I like the multi-explosion special attack for a powerful dragon. How big is the sculpt? I thought we've seen images of this sculpt elsewhere on the forum and it's wyrmling-size. Regardless, combining the reflective scales and the multi-special attack with a 5/4 flyer with 6 move and 6 life seems like a lot of muscle for 145 points. No to Gordyrr.

I'll come back to the other two & the Blood Raptors another time. This has taken longer than I expected.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =