View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2022, 11:13 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
caps's Customs Redux - STAR WARS Yoda

I would love to see my customs used throughout the community, but my main purpose is to develop them for the enjoyment of myself and those playing at my table. I welcome feedback on any and all of these cards.

This is the first draft of my design philosophy when creating my own customs. I will refine my philosophy over time, so this is a bit of a "living document" for me. These are my "values" for customs, so to speak:

Fun: I want my customs to feel fun to play and bring something interesting to your army building and playing experience.

Consistency: I want my customs to feel at home alongside each other, everything in the first release of Heroscape, everything that VC created, and everything that Heroscape 2.0 will create. For me that includes Valkyrie generals, a range of power level, and a ceiling on complexity (see below).

Theme: I will offer my own interpretation of theme appropriate to the mini or character. I will not always represent every aspect of the character, either due to Translation or Simplicity, and sometimes I will reduce the power of a character due to Power-Level concerns. In my view, Valhalla seems to have some kind of mystical power-balancing effect to enable swordsmen to keep up with riflemen and robots. The same applies to other characters in my opinion.

Simplicity: I will avoid finicky or complicated designs that involve lots of text.

Power-level: Most small or medium hero characters I design will be under 170 points, as that seems to me to be the upper limit for easily integrating heroes into a Heroscape army.

Role: Each card should serve a role in an army or scenario, rather than simply be a collection of thematic powers. A card that can't fill a role is unlikely to hit the table.

Originality: I will try to offer my own takes on a character or miniature.

Translation: In some cases, when it appeals to me, I will translate a miniature from another game and base the design on the one from that game rather than on the original lore.

Clarity: I will prefer official wording when possible, but I am not the C3V; I will deviate from official wording if I think my own is more clear.

Iteration: I will post first drafts and iterate on them as I collect feedback and perform playtesting.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by caps; November 8th, 2022 at 05:20 PM.