View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2022, 02:54 PM

Cinderquail knows what's in an order marker Cinderquail knows what's in an order marker Cinderquail knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Book of Darklings - Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Quote:
DARKLING SUMMONING
For the entire game, before taking a turn with a Hero you control named The Darkness, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 10 or higher, you may place 1 previously destroyed Darkling adjacent to The Darkness or on any unoccupied Shadow Tile.

LIVE FOR DARKNESS
After taking a turn with a Hero you control named The Darkness, you may move the Darklings. Any space a Darkling occupies is considered to be a shadow space in addition to its normal terrain type. If you do not control a figure named The Darkness, remove all Darklings from the game.

PROTECTING THE ARTIFACTS
If a figure you control with an Artifact Bearer special power that is adjacent to one or more Darklings you control is attacked and at least 1 skull is rolled, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 10 or higher, ignore this attack and instead destroy an adjacent Darkling.
A few little style things in red.

I didn't change the bit in blue - I'm guessing that's been tested as resolving instantly? The Darkness is destroyed and the Darklings all immediately go up in smoke, type of thing? I think it technically does that but it might be cleaner if it had some kind of timing check/trigger on the effect.

Not sure how much it's been talked over but I worry a little bit that the wording here leaves the Darklings really vulnerable to say... Cloak or other figures that can just temporarily get the Darkness off the battlefield.

The first sentence of Live for Darkness also might make more mechanical sense at the end of Darkling Summoning? Maybe it's not in there because it doesn't 100% jive with the name, but it feels more mechanically related to that power than the rest of LFD to me, and lets you trim some of the 'named' language out of that sentence:

Quote:
DARKLING SUMMONING
For the entire game, before taking a turn with a Hero you control named The Darkness, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 10 or higher, you may place 1 previously destroyed Darkling adjacent to The Darkness or on any unoccupied Shadow Tile. After taking a turn with The Darkness, you may move the Darklings.

LIVE FOR DARKNESS
Any space a Darkling occupies is considered to be a shadow space in addition to its normal terrain type. If you do not control a figure named The Darkness, remove all Darklings from the game.
Just my
Changes look good to me I'll update the card.