View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:30 AM

wdgrant knows what's in an order marker wdgrant knows what's in an order marker
Re: Sports: Soccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombo101 View Post
Ollie, please tell me you're not a Manchester United fan?!?!
No, don't worry. Aston Villa. They currently have two US goalkeepers: Brad Friedel and Brad Guzan (as is well known in the UK, all Americans are called Brad; they may have had to change their names to Brad on their passports to convince UK authorities that they weren't fake). I know Friedel was the first choice US keeper a while ago, but I vaguely remember that he retired from international football. Is that right? Is Guzan in with a chance of making the US squad? He has reportedly been playing very well when given a chance at Villa.
Guzan is generally considered the primary back up to Tim Howard. He is still young, so many consider him the keeper of the future as well. I wish Villa was still in the Europa League. That gave Guzan more opportunities to see action. Now he'll have to hope for FA Cup matches or a Friedal injury (unlikely, as Friedal holds the record for most consecutive starts in the Prem). Brad Friedal did retire, shortly after he was the hands down team MVP when we went to the Quarterfinals at WC 2002. He says the travel across the Atlantic was too much for him as he got older.

As for support, I follow Bolton Wanderers and Chelsea FC. I hope the Blues put an end to ManU's recent league domination. I would love to see the Prem become a more competitive league top to bottom, a la the Bundesliga. Unfortunately, the cycle of big money to the top 4 will make that a difficult proposition.

Man, I cannot wait until June and the kickoff for the WC. It can't get here soon enough.