View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by funrun
These are all great issues of which I will address the ones that I had the most thoughts on:

2. Rules (Schedule) I totally agree that we need to schedule time gaps in between tournament rounds for 2 main reasons:
1. to give the tournament organizers time to figure out rankings and assign players to tables for the next round.
2. to give all players a full 60 min game, to the last second. People need time to find their seat, pull out figures, set up their playing area, use the restroom, and stay hydrated and energized by getting food and water. Then start the 60 min clock.
I think all we need is a scheduled 5 min gap in between each round, except after the third round give a slightly longer time (10-15 min). At tourney start time (say 10AM) post a schedule with very specific times for each round to start and begin (i.e 10:05-11:05, 11:10-12:10, 12:15-1:15, 1:25-2:25, 2:30-3:30.) Then the next event begins at 3:45, so we have 15 min to officially present awards, clean up, clear out, and the next group can set up for the next event. I think this gap schedule would make everything run smoother for both organizers and players.
Something like this may help but it won't fix everything. There are a few players that take way too long playing their turns and unjustly eat up the time. Some players repeatedly played all the way to the time and had to fall back on VP's to determine the winner. Constantly running out the clock is very much frowned upon in other tourneys and can get a person disqualified. Point differential helps deter the slow players who make marginal wins their goal. In a normal tournament setting you should have very few if any players going all the way to the clock. Last year we didn't have as much of this. The things I won't do to fix this is extend the rounds. Throughout the whole convention, it was always the same individuals who were causing the slowdown. Terms like stalling and turtling were mentioned to me so many times by disgruntled players that I have to believe that some of the problem lies in the fault of just a few folks who are spending way too much time unjustly indulging themselves each turn analysing their moves.

I want to mention the negative effects of stalling in the tournament guidelines long before next Gencon and have them posted and available at the tourney. The actual running behind of the tournment is secondary to the fairness here. The sole reason to entertain ideas is to aleviate the negativity associated with folks showing up late and players causing slowdowns.

The sheets used for point differential were great. Claiming that they were excessively confusing is just an exaggeration. Most players, even little kids picked it right up. There are just some simple minor tweaks I would make to them.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell