View Single Post
Old November 26th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: Questions About Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthan313 View Post

Ok, I'll look at all of the beautiful creatures around me. For example, I'll look at the species of jellyfish, one of the most "primitive of creatures" that has a complicated defense mechanism. When a predator gets close to it, the jellyfish turns off all of the lights in its bell-shaped body and turns on the lights at the ends of its tentacles. The jellyfish then stretches its body as far as possible from the tentacles. When the foe gets close enough, the jellyfish turns off all of its lights, and zips away as fast as it can. This incredibly complex creature even has a Plan B. If the predator isn't fooled, and continues the pursuit, the jellyfish will turn on both the blue lights in its body, and the white lights in its tentacles. When the predator gets too close, the jellyfish will turn off the lights in its body, detach the still-glowing tentacles, and scoot away again. The tentacles will twist and turn in the water, causing an impressive distraction.
Your reasoning doesn't work for one side or the other. While you say to look around, and you will see examples of Evolution, Creationists(like myself) will say to look around to see examples of design. That statement is one of the poorest arguments that one could make in a debate such as this. If I get neg repped into oblivion for that last sentence, well, I have to state my beliefs.
You asked for an example, not a proof. I don't claim that looking at something is a proof (though your "proof" of the theory of gravity suggests that you do).

To believe in design (as it is usually interpreted) requires ignoring all of the evidence. This is not to say that evolution is incompatible with the existence of a god, but if there is a god then he/she/it "creates" via evolution, not design. Many religious people have no problem reconciling these viewpoints.