View Single Post
Old August 28th, 2017, 10:02 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: dok's battle reports

BRING 2

I had a conflict with the Ashes qualifier events (there were two events where you could qualify for top 16) and two Heroscape events: Bring 2 and Cluster Draft. I was always leaning towards Bring 2. In the end, I didn’t like the particulars of the cluster draft, and Bring 2 is my baby so I had to go that way.

As I often do in Bring 2 events I decided to build one army around TKN. I went with the classic (for me) TKN, grubsx3, Raelin, Marro Warriors. For the second army, I went with a strong Heavies army that I thought could compete with it: Heavies x3, Grimnak, Nerak, and Sam Brown.

I received a first round bye.

ROUND 2

Opponent: Vegie’s Dad (Deathchasers x4, Nerak, Warhulk, Marcu/Knights x3, Gilbert, Templars)
Map: Remains of Clionesia (Unique Attack + d20)

I won the dice-off and took my TKN army. Jason took his Deathchasers.

The fight centered on the area of the map overlooking the unique attack glyph. Nerak quickly claimed the height, while I placed Raelin on low ground but close enough to support the fight. TKN dropped Nerak almost immediately, and the Warhulk was stuck on the far end of the map, so the Deathchasers had to take on TKN without a hero for the next few turns.

TKN’s stomp rolls were extremely poor (a common theme for me) but the nagrubs made up for it by picking up many kills of their own (also a common theme for me). TKN took a lot of wounds on 4v7s, but nagrub healing kept him alive long enough to take down the Warhulk and most of the ‘chasers.

Despite having the Marro Warriors in my army for the entire Flex event, this game was the first time I actually revealed an OM on the Marro Warriors; I used them for the last few turns to clean up.

ROUND 3
Opponent: Sir Heroscape (Warforged x4, Kaemon Awa / Hydra, Raelin (RotV), Black Wyrm x6, Red Wyrm x2)
Map: Wyrmwalk (Unique Attack + Healer)

Once again I won the dice-off and took my TKN army. Sir Heroscape took his Hydra/Wyrm build.

I thought I might struggle if I led with TKN in this fight, so I decided to switch up and lead with the Marro Warriors while the rest of the army waited in the startzone. What followed was a Marro Warrior reign of terror. I quickly claimed the Unique Attack glyph and picked off a number of wyrms outside of Raelin’s aura. When I lacked targets outside of the aura, I turned to Raelin herself. I cloned once (1 of 2, bringing me back to 3 total) and continued to snipe.

When I finally gave up on the Marro Warriors and shifted to the rest of my army, they had killed 6 wyrms and Raelin, and had put two wounds on the Hydra. In case you don’t want to do the math, that’s roughly 320 points of damage from a 50-point unique squad. Wow.

A Raelin-backed TKN easily dispatched the wounded Hydra to finish things and give me the event win.