View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2019, 02:39 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Is it even possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
...to field a competitive all unique heroes army? I'm not talking about in an all heroes format, I'm talking about bringing an all unique heroes army to a standard format tournament. I've only been around for a year, but I don't think I've seen or heard of anyone trying it. Does it happen? Has anyone had any documented success? If it hasn't, do you think one of the known 'upper-level' players could pull it off or would they even be toast going up against a standard mixed build?

(Apologies if this question has been posted before. I used the Search function and didn't see anything later than 2008.)
Heroes have several problems which common squads don't face. They are subject to multiple wounds from a single attack, making them more fragile than they at first appear. Often, they cannot compete with the number of attacks a squad can make in a single turn. Frequently, they are "too powerful" against squads, rolling enough dice to almost certainly kill one, but in reality "wasting" a bunch of extra skulls.

Having said that, an army core of Q9/Raelin (RotV) at 260 points is very powerful and has the ability to usefully engage both heroes and squads. Add a couple of Fen Hydras to hit 500 even and I'd expect to be able to compete with most armies... but you did say unique heroes, so Fen Hydras is kinda cheating.

Agent Skahen and Kaemon Awa maybe? That gives you one hero who is particularly good against range and another that is particularly good against melee. Raelin/Q9/KaemonAwa/Skahen... not top tier, but probably competitive on any map that lets you use some choke points and range advantage without too many glyphs.

Elf Wizard pods are also fun to play at 500 or 600, though as superfrog notes they are a bit less competitive.

~Aldin, speculatively

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham