View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2021, 06:14 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth
Re: OEAO's Power Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
You definitely misunderstood what I wrote there. I wasn't saying that Fires are good without Kurrok. My point was that Fires aren't the issue. Making Fires better isn't really what would fix the core problems of the army. The flaws pretty much all lie within Kurrok (unless you want to make the argument that the army would have no issues if Fires had 8 move and 7 defense, but that's less realistic than an alternate reality where Kurrok is cheaper or more survivable).

And this is where I distinguish Firestorm from the other combos people have given examples of. The flaws in Firestorm lay in one half of the duo. This isn't true of any of the other pairs. Glads and Blasts are both nuts. Grimnak and Heavies are both very efficient. Knights do all the leg work, but Gilbert's facilitation of that is insane.
If you're going to attribute the liabilities of Fire Elementals to Kurrok, you have to give him their strengths too. Sure, he's a liability for order marker management, but he's what enables you to take triple turns with them and stack Searing Intensities in the first place. Again, back to the Glad Blast comparison, it's like saying the Blasts are bad because they can get shot down over the screen and then the Glads are useless. Sure, sometimes, but it's just a weird way to talk about two figures that work together.

If you took away the Fire Elemental's "liability" of only being able to take a single turn when their Elementalist is dead and gave them traditional bonding, that would make them better. That single activation limit is flaw for the Fire Elemental; Kurrok fixes the flaw. Kurrok brings his own flaws of vulnerability to assassination, but the Fire Elemental flaws are what he's patching over.