View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2021, 06:35 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Interactive Terrain Brainstorming thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I guess I am fine with "Engineers of Valhalla" that first we need to be sure how much a "project" we want to make it. I would rather one of these options:
  • Part of C3V group, as a subgroup of them
  • Part of WoS or ARV as a subgroup of them
  • Similar to SoV/BoV where each person makes their own design with input from others but the design gets sign off from others in group.
  • No defined project, just a brainstorming thread like The Pre-SoV Workshop or Custom Unit Playtesting Exchange
Your BOV comparison where each member can bring their own design to the table, take feedback on it from the group, and LD it to completion. I would say 1 design per member at a time. They are also welcome to scrap their idea to start a new one if it doesn’t pan out. For the beginning of this project, I would say, no affiliation with other groups. I’m not keen on others that are not part of the ongoing process to step in and tell us what we can and can’t do. I know there was talk of eventually possibly making a map contest or something incorporated terrain further down the line with ARV maybe, but that would be down the road a ways if at all. We will have to brainstorm a pretty loose rule set just for making calls on designs and timeframes to do so. I would say, for votes on designs, a majority ruling would be fine. When making a design, it would probably be a good idea to present the idea as: a DO, a passive terrain piece, or an interactive terrain piece. Then if it’s designed to be in competitive maps, or scenario/for fun maps.
I agree with what was said here.

There isn't necessarily a reason to put ourselves under/subordinate to another group, especially if we want to do things that are radically new or different. Ensuring compatibility with, definitely but not being constrained by is what I would say our focus should be.

Definitely agree with the idea of 1 design per person and an atmosphere where the established "group" has to sign off on a piece of terrain.

As for the specifics about the terrain itself and what rules there are governing a design, that's definitely a conversation that needs to take place with a bit of thought. A few of those specifics probably are... whether something can be 3D printed, readily made with common items, is distinguishable from other terrain pieces in both appearance and function, does meaningfully and thematically add to Heroscape, do we require it to be from a specific planet and/or setting so we can justify it further, and our overall process for designing and testing a piece of terrain.