View Single Post
Old June 4th, 2006, 04:34 PM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
In my opinion choices are what make up a game. Whenever a player is forced to make tough choices, you have a good mechanic at work. But, I would love to hear others insights on this unit.
I agree, choices make up a game.

And now I remember what my issue with this unit was:
He does BOTH - dominates friendly AND unfriendly heros.

What this does is 2 VERY different things:
1) allows your side to effectively have the risk from wasted Order MArkers (when a hero is killed with an unused Marker on it) to be removed or dcreased substatially. This would be great, and quite strategic and a welcome addition to HS strategy/gameplay if that's all he did.

2) Take over multiple opponent heroes, AT 6 RANGE, with only a 16 roll.
This is a completely different ability, thematically (i.e. dominating people of your own army - on the same side - to give up their mental control to you is very different from controlling an enemy).
You've all heard the discussions about Ne-Gok-Sa and why many people wouldn't want his unit to be changed to even a 19 and 20, much less increased to range, much less to a 6 Range.

Now, from a powers-analysis standpoint, we should differentiate between ne-gok-sa, strategically, and this Mindflayer.

NGS takes over the opponent completely.
Sworgren allows you to control them whenever you choose.

That is intriguing, that at any time, you take them over, but strategically it dictates that the only thing your opponent can do then is throw the Bubbled units into battle, as far away from their other figures as possible.

This is a bit too dominating for one 110 point unit, IMO.
You see the pricing for units that change the overal strategy of a battle: look at Dund (changes grouping of Order Markers), look at Saylind's limited ability, look at Morsbane , etc.

I just feel that if you want to better blend with the official units, you would make this custom do only ONE of the options you've give him. Official units seldom do more than one specific thing. And they cost out the wazoo if it is strategically changing the gameplay.

This unit significantly affects strategic gameplay.
I'm sure that's why you, and me, and others like the concept.
But this is the same problem with Agent Bale, I realize, and must also be why you and GB can't understand my issues with that unit's multiple-strategic-altering abilities as well.

Too many goodiesin one unit.
Too many game-altering effects from one, mid-priced unit.

And as you say, GB - not enough tough choices to make, when one unit does many things.