View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2020, 12:38 PM

Archie97 knows what's in an order marker Archie97 knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Workbook of Legolas

So my first thoughts for Legolas (and Gimli) would be something like this, riffing off of Capsocrates Competition idea, as I think that is a really fun and unique design space for these two.

Legolas Greenleaf
Unique Hero
Archer
Precise
(Scuplt dependent I guess)

Life 4
Move 6
Range 7
Attack 3
Defense 2

Competition
For every opposing figure Legolas destroys, place a Tally marker on this card. When attacking with Legolas, roll one additional attack die if another army card you control has more Tally markers than this card. After revealing an order marker on an army card that has at least 3 more Tally markers than this card, you may immediately take a turn with Legolas.
Double Attack
When attacking with Legolas, you may attack one additional time.
Defensive Agility
When Legolas rolls defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent figure, one shield will block all damage.

Stats are really just off the top of my head, and haven't added a point cost yet. I'm thinking somewhere in the 110-140 area.
Obviously both Gimli and Legolas would have the Competition ability. I figure it would, in most games, play out with Legolas taking the majority of the turns, well because range. Then as he's racking up the kills, you eventually 'unlock' a bonding ability, with extra attack, until Gimli levels the playing field. Depending on how you play it, if you're feeling lucky you could also try and alternate your order markers, if you get 2 kills each turn, the other unit will always get the extra attack during their turn. This would work best with lots of Common squad figures to mow down, which I think quite nicely reflects Gimli and Legolas.
It is quite a wordy ability, but I think it does enough that thats ok. And the fact that you could, theoretically, rack up some ridiculous numbers of Tally markers is definitely a feature, not a bug. For me at least! I'll crosspost this to the Gimli workbook with his Card.