Thread: Workshop Thread
View Single Post
Old March 18th, 2020, 09:44 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: Workshop Thread

Goat Path II Electric Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
I agree with a lot of what's said - but I especially wanted to reiterate my biggest concerns with the map. Because of the lay out, I feel like games are going to play out the same way - with most of the conflict taking place at that corner.
I think early engagements will absolutely happen that way, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Two spaces on the road will help spread things out toward the glyph initially as well, and the height both back there and easily accessible from that initial engagement will give further incentive to go elsewhere.

Quote:
I feel like there are few glyphs that would be worth moving so much out of the way for when your enemy is so close (and many of them are not used in tournament games) so I very much agree with the idea of a pre-set strong glyph that would be worth going out of the way for. Granted, the road helps... but I worry it won't be enough to pull conflict to all parts of the map.
Cliche though it may be, Wannok is a good candidate. I'm not convinced that, or another specific glyph, is necessary without playtesting (+8 initiative may even be worthwhile), but it's certainly something I'll look for.

Quote:
I also don't love the water around the tree - I'd rather see it used as part of the start zones like Sir H recommended.
I looked at the map for a good while and tried to figure out what to do with the excess water in its first form (everything around the tree was actually a late addition, as I realized I had 6 hexes left and a trio of 2-space openings that seemed too perfect at the time). There were no good options, and while I had some holes on level 1 that could use filling (slight stability issues for the hexes on level 2), due to the 24-hexers being used for the start-zones, there was no way to free up single-hex land pieces. As much of a struggle as it was, I had to redesign the whole thing with the 24s in the middle (had to use other "start zone" colors to mark one map while I worked on the other to ensure I lined everything up correctly). I was able to keep everything on level 2 exactly the same and open up the pathing around the tree, which should help keep the battle fully engaged across the middle, from the opening corner to the road and glyph. Oh, and slightly lessened the potential of opening moves by Zelrig/Krav. Additionally, I do like the look of all that dungeon in the middle.

Quote:
You've taken on a significant challenge working with such little terrain, so every piece has to be used in the best way possible. I think this is a good first draft! Way to take on such a challenge! Hopefully some playtesting will help refine which hexes could be better utilized somewhere else.
This definitely makes me want to try other limited terrain sets. Honestly not looking forward to building with RotV for a while because it's too generous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
I love maps that have a progression to how the battle develops, and that’s exactly what I see here, so I’m really excited for this map!

I actually disagree with my fellow judges — I think a random glyph is fine for this map. Setting too strong of a glyph will give too much of an edge to an army that is able to quickly claim that far corner. And I think the development of the action, for the most part, is pretty solid. In a standard battle you’ll meet at the close low ground, develop onto the high ground in that area to get an edge, and then start flanking and taking the glyph to get more of an edge, especially with any range the armies have.
This is my gut feeling as well. I won't say I'd be happy to be proven wrong with testing, because that would mean a complete overhaul, but I am of course open to improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
In my opinion, the main struggle that the map currently has is the start zone layout. I think that if the start zones had more of an easy access along the road, it would promote even more the development into the glyph/height area. It still should be a bit of an effort to capture the same feeling of battle progression, but as it is right now I think it may take a bit too much effort, which may lead into the one-note battles that the other judges are concerned about.
Something else to keep in mind during playtests. Aside from the two starting spaces, there are several other places on each side that allow for just 2 turns of movement from even 5-move figures to reach or pass the high ground road in the back on the opponent's side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
We have bombarded you with opinions @NecroBlade - one of the perks as a judge is that I can see what others deem as valuable. We don't always agree, which is good thing. Bottom line - submit what you want. Personally, I didn't see the variation in height in the build in my first glance. Thanks for pointing that out. I would think a random glyph is just fine. Good luck.
I appreciate every bit of it. As you say, opinions differ, but that's helpful in viewing the map from other perspectives. And hopefully the map is better for it.

While it is a relatively flat map, my intention was to use each element effectively:
  • 14 level 0 spaces
  • 15 level 2 spaces
  • the rest on level 1
  • Plenty of LoS blockers around height
  • Road/glyph directing battle to additional parts of the map
  • All height in the center (save the one middle space) can be attacked from melee by someone in shadow
  • Pathing to major landmarks as identical as possible from each side
  • Start zones, while not perfectly intuitive, that have simple tricks to remember (red: row with two water spaces in a line and back, plus 2-4-6-8 spaces in front on the left; blue: two back rows plus 3 spaces, skip one, three spaces, skip one)
  • Visually/aesthetically appealing both in mix of terrain and overall layout

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Last edited by NecroBlade; March 18th, 2020 at 09:59 PM.